SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vishketan

Layout help for wide galley kitchen

vishketan
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi

We are in the preliminary stages of thinking about remodeling our kitchen. I am looking for layout advice/ideas/feedback.

Usage:

- Both me and my wife cook almost every day. Our 5 year old daughter helps out. So basically the family spends a lot of time in the kitchen.

- I bake bread and cakes on a weekly basis. Occasionally I make cookies or a pie. We are vegetarians. So no need to size the oven for a thanksgiving turkey!

- We cook food from all over the world (Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Soups, Stews, etc etc.)

- We have a collection of French copper cookware (around 20 pieces) and cast iron cookware (around 10 pieces) which we more or less use on a regular basis. However, our current kitchen does not have enough storage space so we have to store some pieces in the garage.

- We love our gadgets :) We own a food processor, kitchen aid mixer, a grinder for making idlies, bread machine, a juicer and an assortment of other gadgets.

- Since we buy from a co-op, we also store reasonable amounts of food and grain.

Current Layout:

- Dimensions: 10.5 ft x 15 ft with three sliding doors (one opens into the laundry, one into the family/dining room, and one into the entry passage to the house).

- We currently have a teeny weeny cupboard type pantry, and use it a lot.

- Our oven is a 27" wall mounted relic which is at least 20+ years old.

- We replaced the electric cooktop with a gas cooktop from Thermador. It is a disaster.

- A part of the kitchen was presumably used as a breakfast nook, but we don't use it a lot.

- Our countertops are made of sterile white tiles.

Aims:

- We want to eliminate breakfast nook and create more counter space.

- Need more storage space for our assortment of pots and pans. Maybe a hanging rack from the ceiling?

- Need accessible storage space for our appliances.

- The wall oven is small and not really working for us. We either want to go to a larger functional wall oven or a range (right now we have a cooktop).

Layout

- Our kitchen seems wider than normal galley kitchens, but not wide enough to accommodate an island. Also the location of the doors creates its own set of challenges/constraints.

- Since we have a metal roof, it is hard to move the chimney vent. Therefore, the location of the cooktop/range cannot be changed. Everything else can be moved around.

- I have a reasonably good idea on the appliances that I want (Capital Culinarian 36" range, Modern Aire vent hood, Miele dishwasher, sub zero two door fridge).

Right now we are not constrained by budget since we are only exploring possibilities.

I made a 2d floorplan of the proposed layout. It is not very fancy, but is true to scale.

So please let your creative juices flow and give us advice/ideas/feedback :)

Proposed Layout

thanks

Comments (11)