SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_282355545

Layout help for galley kitchen!

Hi everyone, we are renovating a house we just bought including the original 1974 galley kitchen. The basic footprint is already set, but we can move around appliances, etc. The layout is a long interior wall (18 feet, sloped to a low of 96" high, no windows) on one side and an open 12 foot peninsula on the other (shorter due to exterior wall on the right) that opens to the dining room and will have a breakfast bar. Entrance to kitchen is from corridor on the the left side only (there's a garbage area/exit on the right to outside).

a little about us: two kids who grab snacks and hang out while I cook. I'm the primary cook but spouse and I are both knocking around kitchen to get stuff on the table fast so it needs to accommodate two people prepping and cleaning up. Our last house had a primary kitchen and a sweet butler's pantry with a separate sink, which was nice since I could make my coffee there undisturbed by the chaos in the kitchen.

Other notes about this space: There's a good 5 feet between the two counters (could even stretch to 6). There's an extant walk in pantry area (not visible from dining room) on the right that we would like to keep. I also want to keep the frig on the left edge, because that's where everyone (kids, adults) will enter the kitchen and grab things and then hopefully leave without getting in the way of the cook. Across from the frig we want a small beverage frig for the same reason. I also want the sink on the peninsula, since it will face the dining room/other people and I dont like washing up facing a wall.

I've attached a few layouts with the main variations being the following:

-Both layouts #1 and #2 have two sinks, but are two sinks worth it with a smallish galley kitchen?.

-placement of microwave drawer: near the range with the rest of the cooking or on the peninsula near where we serve?

-placement of dishwasher--will it block traffic flow if near the open end of the peninsula, ?

but anything else you see let me know. I've more or less done a combo of drawers and cabinets, and think we are okay on storage in general.

Apologies for my quick n dirty sketches, hopefully it makes sense.

also, if it makes a difference, we are doing flat panel frameless cabs, either high gloss or super matte or a combo of both, and our uppers *may* be flip up rather than regular, tbd. (thoughts?!!)

Comments (4)