SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swickbb

Layout opinions please before final design

swickbb
15 years ago

Hi! I feel like I hit the jackpot in finding this site! Love reading forums/blogs and know how helpful they can be. I am pretty frustrated right now not being able to visualize what I want with the current layout we are planning.

Just moved in last month to this 1958 contemporary that has never been updated. It is very old, dirty, and worn. You can see by the pics that even though its contemporary it is kind of rustic with all the wood. We are working with a cabinet guy (friend of a friend) and are close to ordering the cabinets but I still have concerns mainly with the island and oven/cooktop placement. I am hoping the combined expertise here will help me see what I do not see.

My biggest concern is that I have space to comfortably cook and move efficiently in the kitchen while still allowing for room for visitors to hang out. It seems with the current design that the island is in the way rather than contributing to the flow.

Goal is to have room for company to belly up to the counter with a glass of wine and visit in a comfortable kitchen mostly for that pre-dinner cocktail and appetizers and for me to sit and with my laptop while cooking and at other times to enjoy the area - it opens up to a really nice view out the back of the house. I like to have everything prepped and almost ready before the friends come in so we can just relax.

Appliances that we currently have are a 30" black cook top and a new 27" oven (we feel is too small) that came with the house and they are almost brand new. We are buying a new FD refrigerator, most likely 25.8 cf 30" w/o door depth, and new MW. Am still debating whether to go with a hood over the cook top or use MW for venting.

Cabinets: Color and style (debating on Hickory or Cherry stained a color or two above natural).

Other stuff to think about is that there is a hole in the corner of the kitchen with a spiral staircase downstairs. We will be covering that up so that we have that extra area to work with.

Any help you can give me will be so appreciated. I am at the totally frustrated point worried that it will not be the kitchen sanctuary that I was hoping for. All I can say is this has been a real learning experience and continues to be! Thank you!

Brenda

Proposed layout:

From Kitchen Design

View of the kitchen looking into it and to the right end is the dining room. To the extreme right is a railing and the fireplace overlooking a fully windowed back wall.

From Kitchen Design

The staircase hole will be covered and that oven will be moved into the corner. Concerned that I will feel stuck in the corner. The current design does not allow for me to just turn around and put something down. It's not too far a walk but I guess I'm just used to pulling a meal out of the oven and setting it on top of the stove.

From Kitchen Design

This pantry area will remain pretty much the same but taking the depth out of the existing pantry. It seems like the proposed island will be too close to the wall/column area. Your thoughts?

From Kitchen Design

Another view of the kitchen.

From Kitchen Design

Current view of the cooktop and serve area through to the dining room. Like the passthrough actually but that layout does not work for me either.

Another view of that monolith cooktop hole area...

From Kitchen Design

Here is a link that might be useful: Existing Kitchen Album

Comments (10)