SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harry_wild

Selection of Roofing Shingles!

15 years ago

I did not know where to turn to post a design question so I chose this forum.

I have a split level home with a tuck under garage. House is value around $300K.

I would like to replace my roof shingles from white to a terra cotta color due to hail damage.

I was wondering if it is appropriate to use the best quality shingle on it which is the GAF Camelot or the GAF-ELK Timberline Prestique Lifetime Roofing Shingles which is a better shingle grade. The price difference is roughly 1/2 or in dollars $4,500.

I love the Camelot design but the roofing contractor said that it too costly of a shingle for this type of house and neigborhood. He said that the Camelot is usually put on home in the $1-$2 million range. He told me that I should look at the Prestique as the highest end and the 3 tab as what the home normally would go with.

Is there someone that is a designer or have knowledge on this topic; maybe a realtor; that can advice me on which shingles to purchase. Also, the installation of the Camelot uses a different installation roofers that will cost a little more because of the training and involves more time to install.

Shown below is the link to the GAF roofing website with the different choices; to provide better insight to form some opinions as to what is adequate.

http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF&App=ROOF&Force=shingle-lines.asp

Yes I can afford it without any troubles the Camelot!

Thanks for any assistance.

Harry

Comments (14)