SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinyone22

Permits / Notice of Corrrection/ Hiring GC to help

tinyone22
9 years ago

Long story short I bought my first house a few weeks ago. We hire a licensed plumber and licensed electrician to come in and do some work for us. Per our instructions, they pulled city permits for any work they are doing which requires permits. When the city inspector came to finalize the permits we had pulled, he wouldn�t finalize the permits and he gave us a notice of correction for kitchen + bath remodel work that the prior homeowner did without permits (we didn�t know!). We now have to get the permits for all of that work after the fact as the city is requiring us to and we need to be able to get a loan/refi soon (which we can�t w/out permits). We are in the process of trying to hire a General Contractor to help us through the process of pulling a general remodel permit, exposing the work (i.e opening walls where needed etc) and fixing anything the inspector says may need to be fixed to get it up to code. I met with one GC already and he needs to talk to the inspector before he can give us a bid (which I understand). I want to meet with a second GC as I want to make sure to make the right choice to choose the best person for the project (not necessarily the lowest bid).

My question is � when do I call the second GC? I don�t want to have any GC open any walls until I know which GC I�m going to hire. But I don�t think anyone can give us a bid until we open the walls with the inspector there. I have never owned a house before and have no idea how to proceed. Any thoughts?

P.s. Owner-builder permit is not an option for us�we don�t meet the requirements at this time.

Comments (22)