SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl555

Hiring architects and GCs

7 years ago

I have plans for kitchen/bath remodel drawn by my KD, which involves removing non-load bearing walls in my 1915 bungalow. More detailed drawings are needed for city permits. I've been talking to 3 GCs who have done work for neighbors:

GC #1: Gave me an estimate within my budget, seems good to work with. He referred me to an architect to do drawings as a next step.

GC #2: Walked through the KD plans and my house but wouldn't do an estimate without the structural drawings and referred me to his architect. He thought my budget sounded tight. He seems like the highest quality, though I'm worried he will be too expensive, and I won't know that until I get the drawings and he does the estimate.

GC #3: I'm waiting to get his estimate.

It seems like the next steps are deciding on a GC and getting drawings--does it matter what order I do it in? Are there any issues if I hire GC #1's preferred architect, but end up wanting to hire GC #2 or #3? I'm happy with the KD's design, so not anticipating needing the architect to do much more than drawings.

Comments (7)