SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shinobu_gw

How prepared do you need to be before hiring your GC?

shinobu
17 years ago

Hi. I'm brand new to remodelling, so excuse this post if it's a bit naive... but we're in the process of beginning our remodel (two bathrooms, new radiant heating and flooring, some wall rearranging...) and we're ready to meet with some general contractors. My question is, do we need to know exactly what plumbing fixtures, tile, lighting fixtures, etc. that we want BEFORE meeting with the contractors? We know about 75% of what we want (exact faucet name and finish, exact tile company, style and size we want for the shower, etc). But do we need to know EVERYTHING before we meet with GCs? For example, I know we want to expand the current windows, but do I need to have a particular window company and exact style picked out? Is it ok to just tell him WHERE we want lighting fixtures installed and then reaserch and pick out the fixtures later?

I want to be fully prepared before getting our bids, but I'm confused with just how exact we need to be with all the fixtures and details we want. Please help!

Comments (7)