SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Do you acclimate, prepare your trees before coming indoors?

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I was wondering what you do prepare your trees for coming indoors before the real cold weather sets in? That first frost if you wait that long?

At what temps do you feel reasonable to bring them inside for you and your babies?

What is your process before bringing them indoors?

This is what I do:

I take them from full sun and put them in mostly just light and or in the sun where I know they will only get a few hours of it. When I know it is going to sink below the mid forties, I some in for good, or others in a pop up greehouse. Some I place in a garage, or porch, for the night, then set them back outside for the warmer day..

My most treasured ones I bring in before temps sink below the 50's, not taking any chances..

The biggest benefit of leaving them outdoors when the temps cool this much is bud set...Boy do many of my trees start to explode in bloom, while the leaves harden off..

On the Labor day weekend, I start intensifying my spraying routine for precautionary measures with FE..

If I see one plant with just one bug, that get's treated differently and those surrounding it depending on the species of insect...

I also prepare the space area by disinfecting and cleaning the whole area, making sure to wash walls and floors down. I clean the windows, fans, and even wax the floors..I usually have an image and a spot for my most prized trees, then the others go where I can fit them..I put shelves together for my windows, and start collecting rain water for the long winter in 30 gallon barrells in my cellar.

How do you prepare yours to come indoors?

Mike..

Comments (31)