SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrshanson1

Should I sell?

mrshanson1
10 years ago

Hi to you all!

I've never posted on this forum before. I wanted others' opinions about my situation. My question is, "Should I sell now or wait another year?"

We have updated 95% of our house. We bought the house when the market was high, and have made major renovations in our home. Unfortunately, my home is in a location that has not appreciated. All of my HGTV years got the best of me with renovating. If I had to fix something, I did it the right way that cost money and looked good too. I know I have done too much for my house and my area.

Most likely, I will not get back the money that I put into the house. The houses all around me are for the most part not updated, and they are selling low.

I have two school age children, and I do not like the education that they are receiving in my area. Yes, there are private Catholic schools, but they are not much better either.

I want to move because we have overgrown our house. It is not big enough anymore. We have no storage. There is no backyard either. I want to move to get a larger house on a bigger piece of property with a much better school system.

My husband will be retiring in the next year or so. He wants to wait to move until he retires, but I want to move now. I am not sure if getting a mortgage when you are retired makes a difference or not. I also want to move while my kids are younger and it isn't as hard to change school systems.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I appreciate your honest advice.

Comments (15)