SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cimmaryn

The terracing quotes (part 2 of what to do to sell this house

cimmaryn
15 years ago

I have gotten 3 quotes for the terracing that is required in back of my house (check the link, password 'house'). One person was significantly more expensive than the other two, so he is out. For the other two:

6x6 Timber -- bid 1 $23,000 bid 2 $21,355

Alan/Key block -- bid 1 $26,532 bid 2 $28,250

I am planning on asking if they would come down on these bids. If I could install the blocks for under $24K, I'd be tempted.

Since I am fixing the terracing in order to sell the house -- should I just go with the least expensive? That would actually be the railroad ties @ $19K. Or go with the best (block) -- or just hit is somewhere in the middle with the timbers?

Btw, the prices include proper drainage for the wall and backyard (a problem now), removing the dirt from the first terrace, straw/seed, and taking down/cleaning up trees in the area.

I am going to have them remove the first terracing and create one wall where the second terracing stands. This will expand the yard by 12+ feet -- making it 22 feet deep, which will be a huge improvement. I think this makes the most sense, especially if a buyer has children/pets.

So, which would you choose? Railroad ties, Timbers, or keystone/alan blocks? How much would you try to negotiate the price down to?

Also, how complicated is it to do a job like this (say the wall will vary from 4 ft to 15 ft high)? My son wants to do the job, but he has limited experience at building retaining walls, and certainly has not ever built one like this. Is this a job for an expert only?

Thanks!

Kimberly

Kimberly

Just for giggles -- one of the quotes states the wall will be 1500 sqft of wall!

Here is a link that might be useful: the house...

Comments (7)