SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bustergordon_gw

Thinking of buying house that needs major work -- am I nuts??

bustergordon
16 years ago

My husband and I are looking at purchasing a 1925 Spanish Revival home that, quite frankly, needs a ton of work. On the list:

* complete kitchen overhaul, including knocking out walls between the kitchen and the breakfast nook and the kitchen and the cook's bedroom and bathroom (the current kitchen is teeny tiny and filled with 1970s appliances)

* redoing all bathrooms (someone redid them along the way but probably 25+ years ago, and whoever did it appears to have had a pink fetish)

* adding air conditioning (we're in Pasadena, CA, where temps are over 85 degrees from July to October)

* redoing the broken down garage doors and driveway gate

* redoing the backyard, including the bad 1960s pool

So...am I nuts? We've never ever done any kind of renovation work. Our current house is a newish tract home (hence the desire to have an older home with character). Tract home or not, however, it's an EXTREMELY comfortable house done pretty much to our taste with a few minor exceptions. I think this is all going to cost a fortune and take forever, which I'm really stressing about. We can afford it. My husband keeps pointing out that we actually bought way too little house originally, and the real estate market is "passing us by". He is 100% in favor of buying this house. The price per sq. foot on the house is pretty competitive, even factoring in the amount of work we'd have to do.

Am I crazy? I have a terrible knot in the pit of my stomach and I am feeling incredibly anxious, but I don't know if that's normal or not.

Any words of wisdom? Thanks for letting me get this out there!

Comments (6)