SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minet_gw

Escrow stalled due to credit glitch

minet
17 years ago

We are selling our house in SoCal and it's supposed to close escrow on Wednesday, Nov 15. My DH has already moved out of state, the last day on the job for me was today, and we are scheduled to move the rest of our furnishings (and me) on Thursday.

For about a week we've heard that the loan papers are ready but the buyer isn't signing them. We didn't know what that meant and neither did our Realtor, who kept calling the other agent to find out what the hold up was. They were also refusing to sign the release on contingencies, which meant we wouldn't get the earnest money (just $2k) either if they walked out on the deal.

Our realtor couldn't find out any information. Finally today he found out something, I think from the loan officer. There's a glitch on the buyer's credit, something about a car, that supposedly is an error. They think it can be fixed but don't know when.

So, our realtor has advised us to put the house back on the market, with some kind of note about a pending escrow cancellation and my DH agreed to that. Realtor thinks we shouldn't lose a weekend of possible showings while the buyers try to get their papers in order.

Bummer. I was trying to be really positive about this whole thing and just kept telling myself that it would go through. I was really concerned that the buyers had changed their minds and just weren't telling us. I think a credit glitch is better - it can probably be fixed if it really is an error.

If it's not an error, I wonder if they can get a different loan with a higher interest rate? Is it too late in the game for that? I'm trying to read the minds of people I have never even met - how much do they want my house? Will they pay a higher rate? How much do they *not* want to go through the whole buying process again?

I'm just going to pack up this weekend and try not to think about it too much. It's nothing I can fix or do anything about. I just have to wait and see. But it's so tough.

Comments (32)