SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wonka27

Are we nuts to sell and buy right now...

wonka27
15 years ago

My wife and I have a small ranch home. We dumped a bunch of cash into a very nice kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel, and new C/A unit for the size of the house. There are other things that should be done...new carpet, interior doors (some have been changed in our remodel, others are older and different), clean up some landscaping, etc. I've been pretty active in watching houses go up and down off the MLS site, along with checking sale prices on the county website. I know we stand to loose money if we sell...probably a good chunk of it until you factor in realtor fees, etc.

We are considering buying new construction. Builders in the area are slashing prices and offering substantial upgrade allowances. The small subdivision we are interested in would put us in the best school district in the area (our son is an infant...but it isn't too early to think about this) and the location is excellent. Additionally, through preliminary emails, the sales coordinator for the development pretty much said everything is negotiable right now, even price. They even have a few spec homes sitting around, and are offering a $15K closing credit to be used toward a down payment on those homes. Their homes are priced pretty much in line with other developments around.

Knowing we will lose on the selling, is it rational to think selling at a loss is ok if the right deal can be made where we can recoup those losses through help at closing, price reduction, and upgrade possiblities? I just really need others to banter the idea around with...

TIA!

Comments (9)