SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Part Deux: Should I buy THIS house?

herus
17 years ago

I posted several days ago about having found a home that was, basically, 'nice but no cigar'. As it didn't push our buttons but looked very good on paper (and on dirt!), I asked for advice, and the overwhelming response was NO, as it did not work for us emotionally.

Well, we are now faced with quite the opposite situation. This new candidate home is about 12 years old, was foreclosed upon in the late 'nineties and sat for a long time without selling until it was picked up by the current owner at the end of the decade (does that make it a 'turn of the century' house, LOL?).

Now the owners are divorced as of this year, and the wife got the home but cannot keep it up as well as three kids. She is *this* close to defaulting on the loan (which was refinanced a couple of years ago and cash was pulled out to the tune of about $200K). So she is underwater but didn't realize it until recently, when she had the home on the market with a realtor and got several realtors telling her it would take $100K at least to bring it to a level that was par with other homes around, and then it might sell for a 10% discount from her inflated list price. So now she is going FSBO.

It is in poor shape, indoors at least. The exterior looks decent and the landscaping is fine (HOA). We met with her and she said they had intended to fix it up but things got in the way, and then the divorce finally put a lid on that. By my guess it will need the $100K to bring it up to shape, and may even need more. This would include all flooring, all trim, all systems (HVAC, hot water) kitchen remod, removal of several rooms of bad wallpaper and repaint, several large and small windows and some doors, and who knows what else. A sad story of neglect.

Now the kicker. The home is synthetic stucco. We saw it and it doesn't have any apparent signs of damage but I have read enough to know that such is not always apparent. It has NOT been abated (cut away and remedied). I have also read the numerous warnings about synthetic stucco, how they sell for 20% less, etc. and to run like hell from them.

So why are we even here!? Well, the lot the home sits on is quite stunning and the bones, layout and size of the house are terrific and just about perfect for us. This lot is probably the best in a neighborhood of about 20 terrific lots (100 in the whole n'hood) which sit on a small lake. We can tell the home was very nice in its day, which was after all not too long ago. Nice architectural details, large windows, etc. Not ultra fancy but very solid and nothing to sneeze at.

The owner has approached the lender with her hardship situation and they have worked out what she referred to as a 'short sale' on the home. Which basically means, get an acceptable offer even if it's less than what you owe and we'll let you walk away from it without hurting your credit. But, as implied above, she owes a fair bit. If this home was not synthetic and in move-in condition, it could sell for the loan balance and leave her enough for a down payment on a smaller home. Now, it is in no way worth the loan amount, and likely far less.

I feel bad for this lady of course, but we do our charity elsewhere, not that she'd accept anyway. What I'm saying is, we are trying to figure out a fair number that would cover us as well as make it a fair-to-good buy for us. It is VERY important to note that no matter what we buy it for, she comes away with nada, zip, zilch, as she owes more than her list price, which was the price the banker suggested to begin with. So we would not be hurting her, only helping her (keep her credit clean), at ANY figure. She was very upfront about that and clearly stated she does not care what we pay for the home, just that it is an amount acceptable to the bank.

My questions:

1. Is synthetic stucco acceptable at ANY price? In my area (Atlanta metro) this has quite a stigma and the word on the street is "synthetic doesn't sell". But there are literally thousands of these around, and of course some of them sell from time to time, yes? So price is the key, of course. I have info that suggests that such a home can be reclad to hardiplank for about $40K.

So we must figure out what is the fair-to-good price. Noting this is not the usual zero-sum game, where one party gains at the expense of the other (uh, unless you count the bank, which I don't, as this is part of their normal cost of business and they build in a loan loss reserve into their financials and adjust their average loan pricing for just this sort of thing). I am definitely not in the business of providing charity to banks.

I do wish to point out that we have looked far and wide for that perfect home. For four years now (no kidding). Our home is nice enough but it doesn't get us there, if you know what I mean. This one seems like it might. If it had been in good shape and not synthetic it would have sold months ago and we probably would never even have seen it.

So... are we totally crazy? Or do people go in for this sort of thing? We can afford to do it under various scenarios, so that is not really the discussion. We have a bit of remod experience, but this is far more than we can do ourselves and will probably need to hire a GC to take it on. I could probably manage the project but not sure how long it could take and whether the savings would be worth it. Like most buyers, we would want to both get a home that appeals to us as well as make, if not a good investment, at least a non-losing one.

Comments (9)