SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hunzi_gw

Paint (and furnish) my house! part deux ( I need color/furnishing

hunzi
15 years ago

Hi Y'all!

I asked this question in one of my other threads*, but thought I'd make it a little easier to find.

Ok, I think I'm going with Aura! I still have the EK samples up though. I love the EK colors more, but need washability of the new Aura.

Y'all wanna have some fun? Let's pick the colors! Don't feel locked into suggesting Affinity colors!

My major challenge is low light levels in the house. Trees and wrap around porches tend to limit the direct light into the house on the 1st floor. Rooms aren't open, but have views into others. I have a large number of doors and windows!

Right now, we're picking a color for the LR, but the DR is next up. I'm pretty sure the Library, given it's very limited exposed wall once we build in floor to ceiling bookcases, will get Caliente! Fun and dramatic, but not so much red as to look dark and scary in low lighting. After the DR, the PR and Hall will be up for grabs.

This is a very slow DIY type project. Lots of wall plastering needs doing. Woodwork needs to be milled and replaced. We'll probably keep the trim stained, but I'm open to suggestions as to whether to keep it the current color (easiest) and match the new trim to it (not quite as easy), or strip it and stain it darker (serious PITA, but could be worth it!) and then stain the new trim to match (also no fun!)

Ceilings will all get skim coated smooth and painted a light cream.

Colors I like: Obviously, creams, golds, yellows, reds, and oranges, maybe brown.

Colors off the table: Anything pink, purple, green, gray, blue, or putty/beige/taupe.

Here are photos of the house in the link below (warning super cluttered/junky! I took the pictures after we started working on the plaster.) I feel soooo exposed! You never realize how bad stuff looks until you see it in a photo!

Be gentle!

Other stuff you need to know:

I'm open to changing the the stain color if I absolutely have to, to darker/warmer - the challenge is I'm bringing new wood in (clear pine) for the french doors and casings, and the original trim is 125yrs old, and may possibly a different species (chestnut? cottonwood? fir? we can't figure it out!) The current stain isn't original but we have no clue what the color is - we found a possible 'maple' minwax all in one poly type product can in the basement. A PO apparently stripped and stained it and only bothered to strip what they could reach so when we bought the house and there were heavy curtains/valances there was still paint on the upper trim under the valances and along tops/sides/behind radiator still had paint!

Many layers of really ugly paint! But we think the trim was all originally stained and varnished. If I need to re-stain it all - OUCH! lots of work! But I'll do it if the final product looks great!

I'm keeping the furniture (for now!). Eventually this couch set will go to the basement, the lamps might go upstairs to the front room which is a combo of DH's office zone and home gym, the tables will hit the porch for donations the minute I don't need them anymore! The floors will be refinished this spring hopefully. They're oak, I'll stain them if necessary, to get them to a medium tone (leaning towards a warm color), and we'll use a tung oil finish - waterlox in satin.

I know this post is about color, and I don't want to stray too far off topic, but I could use some ideas about how to furnish this room! It has 3 doorways, 2 large windows and a fireplace that is way off center towards a corner right next to a huge radiator! Not an easy space. The goal is for this to be a quiet space, a place to talk and read, not a tv room (although one will be tolerated until DH finishes the basement man cave space). My favorite place to sit in there is on the love seat (usually lounging sideways across the whole thing) under the big south window. I like to sit, read, surf the net, and nap there! It's also a social space, the place I'd bring guests to, so I need seating for at least six**. I'd like to get the focus of the room more on the fireplace too. Given we're starting from scratch (completely empty room) anything goes! I do have an antique upright piano in the library that I've toyed with bringing into the room (mainly because it would give me a lot more room for books in the small library!). The room is 16x14 with 10.5 ft ceilings.

As far as personal style, I'm pretty eclectic. I have a passion for leather furniture (current set purchased when we lived in West Germany, and has survived 2 kids, 4 cats and a german shepherd in its 23yrs life. If I can repair the leather tears, it will go on to serve in the basement eventually. It is very comfy! I'm willing to go a bit more formal, but not give up the leather! ;-) The house is 125yrs old, but I don't have a problem not furnishing it like a museum, although I love antiques. I'm sort of a Pottery Barn style mostly, but I like all sorts of things, except really "traditional" furniture. DH sadly, is a tad more traditional, or at least doesn't appreciate more midcentruy modern styles the way I do.

I'm willing to and WANT TO change the fireplace. Again not original it must have been part of the 1970ish remodel, the one that covered the whole wall in dark brown cork tiles shudder! To make it worse, they smoked, so the cork absorbed the smoke, making it all the more special to scrape it all off! We think they bricked over the fireplace too, the funky diamond in the middle doesn't feel very 1884. I want to make it much more 1884 - maybe strip off or cover the brick with wood, and a new mantle, possibly take space up to the ceiling.

French pocket doors (pine, 10 light) will be added to the LR/DR opening.

*For those of you who weren't playing along earlier, here are my other posts on the topic:

Paint my house!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1018414918173.html

Aura vs Ellen Kennon ICI paints (cross post)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1114063911479.html

** We're a family of four, but I'm a Mary Kay consultant and would like to be able to hold some MK events here and have some social parties, so let's say comfortably seat 6-8, with parties of more.

Always ;-)

Hunzi

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Hunzi's House

Comments (4)