SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
troysbride

selling rental quickly

troysbride
17 years ago

Hello, wise ones! My hb and I are selling our rental, recently vacated by family renters in pretty bad condition. We do not have the cash flow to put into making the house beautiful, and basically want to get out from under it...

Here is what we plan to do:

New carpet throughout, in neutral color.

Paint throughout, in neutral color.

Major professional clean.

(CONDITION!!)

Now here is where we need candid advice...

An acquaintance who works in my school district and I had a casual conversation about a month ago, and the subject came up that her mom keeps her baby while she works, and she lives on the street near the rental....(LOCATION!!!), which also happens to be the neighborhood in which she grew up...

She informed me that her lending company has approved them for 90k, without me asking or hinting at the price we might ask for the house.

She has since reminded me several times about her "90k approval", and I have NEVER mentioned price.

She has not seen the inside of the house yet, because the last tenants had 3 pets, and it still smells of urine..We want to wait to show it to her when it has fresh paint and carpet.

Comps in the neighborhood are showing houses selling in the last year on the street for 110k, and a house on the street identical to ours in listed at 110k.

My hb owes 73k on the home, and we are investing in new paint, carpet, and 6,000 in foundation repair. We would love to sell it to her without listing on the market, and we are working with a realtor for this transaction.

Should we show the house to her and just go ahead and offer as is (80s kitchen and baths, needs new bathroom floor) for 90k, or should we see if the 90k is a cover for a lowball attempt, and tell her about the comps, then ask for something like 99k, knowing she will likely counter, and maybe we can end up around 95k-99k?...(PRICE!!!)

We are newbies at this, and are clueless. Thanks so much for your advice!

Comments (2)