SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mama_mia_gw

how much sanding, primer, preping is necessary to paint?

mama_mia
17 years ago

My husband and I only have a small part of each weekend to work on our house, so we hired a painter to move things along. The rooms my husband did by himself took forever, because of all the sanding, cleaning up the dust, taping, priming, etc. My husband lightly sanded every inch of wall, crown molding and baseboard trim, by hand, with sandpaper before he put on primer then paint. My husband says this is a necessary step, as is priming, to ensure that the new paint will stick properly. the professional painter is obviously progressing faster than we ever could, because he is more skilled, and he is here 8 hours per day.

that notwithstanding, my better half is surprised at how fast the painter is working, and is concerned that he is taking short cuts that my hubby would not. The painter only sanded parts of the wall and trim that were rough, had old drip marks, or chips etc. the painter filled any holes and sanded his patchwork. My husband says that proper painting prep is to sand everything, every surface, then prime, sometimes prime a second time, then paint two or three coats of color. The painter says you only need to sand all of surface area if the old paint was oil based, which of course we do not have nowadays.

The painter also says that primer is only needed on bare drywall or bare wood. If you are painting over paint, a primer is not needed. The painter did wash and prime areas where we took down wallpaper. other than that, he did not use primer.

I want the best of both worlds... I'd like this paint job to be completed in a timely manner, but I don't want to be sorry next year if paint is peeling simply because the surfaces were not prepped properly.

Any comments from painters out there?

Comments (7)