SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjl5007

Painting over stained trim: primer and paint choices?

mjl5007
13 years ago

I'm just getting started on a project to paint some medium-stained casing trim white, and I'm looking for some advice on which primer and paints to use. I started the project last night on the casing around the entry door by cleaning with TSP, wiping with deglosser, patching holes, scuff sanding the entire surface with fine sanding sponge, and then applying a coat of primer. I used Kilz2 because it's what I had, but now that I've done some research today I realize that most of Kilz's stuff (besides the original oil-based) has a pretty poor reputation, and I should be using something from Zinsser, SW, BM, etc.

I've read recommendations to use Zinsser's Cover Stain, BIN, or 1-2-3, as well as FreshStart and PrepRite (not sure who makes those) and maybe one or two others. However, I've also heard bad things about Cover Stain (very thick, problems with brush strokes), and the BIN I'm sure stinks to high heaven and I'm not too keen on breathing that for any extended period of time, so I'd like to avoid it if I can. Can I get away with the water-based 1-2-3, or am I asking for problems with the stain underneath bleeding through in a few months? Should I *really* consider the FreshStart or PrepRite, and if so, how much more expensive are they/how badly do they smell?

As for topcoat, I picked up a quart of Valspar premium satin white, but most of the reading I've done today has only mentioned things from SW, BM, and Cabinet Coat. I haven't opened the Valspar yet, so should I seriously consider returning it and getting something else, or will it be OK? I'm not looking for perfection (this is a townhouse, and one that I only plan to stay in for another 5 years or so), but I do want it to look good, not sloppy/amateurish. For what it's worth, I'm using a brand new Wooster Pro Classic 2 or 2-1/2" angled sash brush.

Finally, I wasn't planning on pulling any of the casing down to paint and then re-installing, because by the time I pry it all off carefully, pull all the nails the whole way through, sand/prime/paint, then re-install, nail, fill all the holes (old and new) and then do touch-ups, I feel like it'll take much longer than just taping and painting it where it is. Am I on the right track?

Comments (2)