SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamojean

How do you know whether to give up on your contractor

dreamojean
10 years ago

I'm not happy with our contractor but not sure whether to give up on him or work it through. This is a kitchen/deck+stairs+patio/window-door conversion job and the deck is up and kitchen walls are closed but the patio isn't built, deck isn't painted and window isn't converted. The deck is fantastic but a sub we hired directly built it and I knew it would be good. I'm very unhappy with our general contractor because he told us he could keep the kitchen wall depth a certain depth and isn't delivering, so the cabinets and stove will be in the aisle basically, and in the way of the door we will be creating. He originally said he didn't need to build out the wall by the stove+dishwasher near the door and now the wall is 3 inches deep or more and he used 5/8" sheetrock throughout - is this needed for a kitchen job? I have no idea- He isn't communicating well with us and is making what I consider mistakes in the process. Like kitchen wall depth for example. And laundry area depth - turns out he built a laundry area for a non-full size stackable despite that I told him all along I would be buying a full size, not compact. Does this mean he doesn't know what full size washers measure at?

Also, when changes come up he charges us extra but when we cut corners he doesn't credit us. We can't afford the renovation under those circumstances and won't be able to afford cabinets or countertops until after a temp kitchen is in and we bring in a tenant and maybe get a heloc, anyway.

He hasn't ordered pavers yet or painted the deck and I've lost confidence in him. We signed a contract and the scope included a patio and painting the deck. When I look at the price for the terrace and painting the deck, I realize that not having this guy I've lost confidence in do it, could make or break our being able to afford to finish our kitchen. I really wanted this bluestone paver terrace but is $5500 for that for a tiny backyard overpriced? Does painting a small deck and stairs with weatherproofing paint really cost $3700 or so? Can I pull that part of the job from him before he orders pavers and/or buys paint for the deck? It seems overpriced and I was willing to play along when I trusted he would do a good job. Now I don't.

Thoughts? I'd welcome any feedback. I'm a newbie to bigger contracting jobs and based on this I want to stick with my mostly awesome time and materials guy from hereon in. I have no idea if this is all par for the course. I don't think my contractor is a bad guy or dishonest but I do feel overcharged and like he might be prioritizing a different job.

Comments (14)