SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edlakin

How do you treat your contractors?

edlakin
16 years ago

We are about to leap into our third kitchen remodel in the last eight years (three different homes!). One thing I've learned through this process is that spending a little money on some niceties for the contractors usually comes back in spades.

I always buy a few cases of bottled water and coke and let them know that they should help themselves. Last time I also bought some gift cards for a nearby sandwich shop and gave them to the guys so they could buy themselves lunch.

Are there any things like that any of you do for your contractors? I have found that treating them well results in them taking better care of my space--they tend to clean up after themselves better, and (I hope) take more time in care with the jobs their charged with.

These are little things, but I've found that doing them (especially early on in the process) kind of helps to set the tone--it conveys the message that we're both human beings and let's them know that there's mutual respect and care (at least I want it to be mutual!). I think that by doing this kind of stuff, it makes it easier for them to hear you when you make requests/complain later.

What do you all think? Any experience with this? Any suggestions of this type of stuff that I can do this time around?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022