SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonniedi

Need advice: Mold & Bad Roof

bonniedi
10 years ago

We had home inspection yesterday for a house we have under contract for a January settlement date.

We knew there was a leak in the kitchen ceiling and some moisture coming up from the ground at the dining room french doors that lead to the back deck.

It turns out that the roof is totally shot in 2 different areas. The sheathing is rotted, so those areas will need the roof taken off and replaced, and new shingles are needed everywhere.

As for the french doors - the bottom of the doors were completely rotted. The doors and sidelights need to be replaced. It's not clear what caused them to rot from the bottom, but we suspect its because there are no gutters on that side of the house (this picture would explain it: http://69.175.54.146/~yourhous/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/6-2.jpg). It looks like the moisture came up from the ground and got in the doors. The hardwood floors in that area of the house surrounding the french doors show no damage.

I'm wondering if its worth trying to continue negotiating or if we should just walk away. I love the house, the neighborhood and the property. We wouldn't otherwise be able to afford a house like that in the town we are looking.

If the problem is what we think it is, it seems like we could get it under control. BUT there's always the possibility that we are opening a giant can of worms.

I'd love to hear from some experienced folks on what you think.

Thanks!
Bonnie

Comments (9)