SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Do You Like To Shop With Your Husband or Wife?

My husband does not like to shop so I do not shop with him. I do not like to shop with him when he has to, like to buy shoes. He can take an hour to pick out a pair and then more than likely decide he doesn't like them and take them back. I guess I really don't like to shop with anyone. If I go into a store with someone, I go my way and they go theirs and I can finish up faster. So do you like to shop with your other half?

Sue

Comments (35)

• jannie
    13 years ago

No, he has to look at everything. He dawdles. I don't even like shopping for myself.

• marilyn_c
    13 years ago

I like to go almost anywhere else with mine than shopping. He is always in a hurry...has no idea where to find anything...and wanders off and then I have to try and find him. I don't like to shop, except for groceries...and I don't
    like doing any kind of shopping with a friend either.

• Related Discussions

Do you still like your husbands gluteus maximus region?

Q

Comments (22)
    Dee, I was going to ask husband if I could take a picture of his behind (clothed of course) because it looks so good for his age, or any age for that matter. However, I know he would never go for that lol. He's feeling old lately with all the work we are doing. Still, I know he would feel really great if he got some nice comments. I don't think most men get enough nice comments about their person. I mean not like us women anyway. In a weeks time we will usually get comments on something whether it be a, hey nice shirt or nice earrings or oh I like your hair. Men don't usually get that. I have made the mistake of complimenting men's appearance in the past, usually something like, that is a nice shirt and color on you. But I guess it looked like I was flirting. I can assure you I was not. Sometimes I'm clueless to the insecurity of some women. I'm not a jealous person so I don't always understand that emotion in others. Auntjen, you are funny...yes indeedy!
    ...See More

Are husbands scared of wife losing weight?

Q

Comments (22)
    It's hard to say. At this point, it sounds to me like he may I doubt that you are really going to stick to the diet and he may not even notice the 10 lbs. so may not think anything of it. Now if he is still doing it after many months, and after you loose 50 lbs or so, then I may think differently. Good luck. It sounds like you're doing great. At least you know you don't need encouragement from him and can do this on your own which is the best way to do it. and aptosca...my husband buys me chocolates all the time too. It must be a guy thing. The strange thing about it with me is I don't even like chocolate. I think they buy it because they can't come up with any better ideas (or they want you to share). LOL
    ...See More

Would Your Husband/Wife/Significant Other Notice?

Q

Comments (49)
    It took my husband 4 YEARS to notice that our kitchen walls, which were originally white, had been painted wedgwood blue! An out of town friend who had seen the kitchen originally was visiting and commented on the color, and asked when I’d repainted. DH looked up and commented, “oh yeah, the blue looks great, when did you do it?” I’d painted the walls 4 years prior. It would probably take him a decade to notice new lighting.......
    ...See More

Feel like my husband is not acting like a husband

Q

Comments (3)
    Really you know the answer already. It's right there in what you've written. I think we women, perhaps more than men, don't want to make changes, we don't want to admit that we've made a mistake, that things are bad, that somebody's not our friend. But it's right there in your post: this guy is not your friend. He is bad news, & his kids, unsurprisingly, are bad news. These things don't get better, they get worse. I wish you the best.
    ...See More
  • nicole__
    13 years ago

DH & I shop together every Saturday morning. :0) We go to a strip mall & start @ 8am with the thrift store(we go our seperate ways), then the grocery store(he pushes the cart). We LOVE any time we have together!!! He's always happy, supportive, interested in what I find, he finds things(sometimes has to explain what it is like the barbed wire bender). :0) It's a FUN time!

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

Absolutely not. He always wants his way when we shop for something for the house and pretty much demands an immediate decision. I'm someone who likes to look at the options and consider them more carefully. Also, he is red/green colorblind and doesn't make good color choices. I refuse to live entirely in the world of taupes. If we are grocery shopping, he adds a lot of junk food to the cart or decides I'm spending too much if it isn't food that is his favorite.

• jel48
    13 years ago

Depends on what we're shopping for. He wouldn't have much patience for clothes shopping. I go with him and he goes with me once in a while, but it better be a quick trip :-)

Antiques and garden centers, there's another story. He and I are best buddies and shopping companions when it comes to those! The only problem is that we enable each other terribly!

We also love thrift shop and garage sales and go together every chance we get.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Hubby and I shop together. I despise clothes shopping, and avoid it. We enjoy grocery shopping, browsing second-hand stores, we love kitcheny type stores.
    We get along well, and love each others company which always helps.

• maryanntx
    13 years ago

I do enjoy shopping with Jammer. He has a good eye when it comes to my clothes. He is gone so much for work that we don't get to shop together very often.

• vannie
    13 years ago

The only shopping I even like to do is antiques shopping, and he's good at it. We have both spent enough time doing that that we know what we're doing--can spot fakes, good deals, etc. Clothes shopping? NO WAY. I'll go to Sam's with him, but we go our seperate ways. Actually I don't like to clothes shop at all and sure can't do it with anyone else.

• lydia1959
    13 years ago

Grocery shopping with DH isn't bad, he will add unnecessary items to the cart though. I won't go clothes or household item shopping with him because he will find a place to sit and look bored and restless... then I feel rushed and end up buying nothing. lol

Unless I am just window shopping I prefer to shop alone.

• tobygirl
    13 years ago

We sometimes grocery shop together. He is really only there to help load and unload the car, because when he gets in the grocery store, he goes into some kind of a trance, and is of no assistance whatsoever.

I would never ask my husband to shop with me for my clothes (he wouldn't want to anyway). In fact, it creeps me out when I see men in the women's underwear department. It also bothers me when men sit or stand right outside of women's changing rooms.

• mamatoad
    13 years ago

Yes, I actually do enjoy shopping with DH. We go grocery shopping every week and we also enjoy yard sales, antique shops, thrift stores, bookstores, etc. Today, we are going to Old Pueblo Traders 50 per cent off sale and he will be his usual patient, friendly self, I am sure. He takes along a book and waits in the "guys'area" while I shop. Sometimes it takes an hour, sometimes a few minutes. He usually takes along a book with many, many pages! LOL

• chisue
    13 years ago

tobygirl -- Thanks. Now I know what happens to my DH in a grocery store -- it's the 'trance'! At least he's not adding junk to the cart but he's oblivious. He stands in the middle of the aisle, obstructing traffic, or in front of my cart. He's pleasant -- not crabby. He reminds me of Oliver from Oliver & Hardy, old time commedians.

DH often drops me off at the grocery and goes to the library to find books and DVD's for both of us to enjoy. Then he wanders the aisles until he finds me in the grocery, about the time I'm finished shopping. He unleads the cart, loads the car trunk, and unloads the goods when we get home.

As for clothes shopping, I put off doing my own. I really hate shopping for his clothes or shoes, but he won't do it alone. (More 'oblivion'.)

• patti43
    13 years ago

Whew, I thought I was the only one with a husband that hates clothes shopping. He turns into a brat when I tell him he needs new stuff. I just took a bunch of clothes to Goodwill and among his stuff was a shirt my DS and DBIL gave him for Christmas over 20 years ago. Granted, it still looked good, but geez!

We always grocery shop together, but apart. I split up the list and he gets half and so do I. He rides around on their scooters to do his. You'd think it'd save time but noooooooooo. He's another one who gets "lost" in the store. I'll wait up front for him until I lose patience and go look for him. He's usually over perusing magazines or checking his BP. That's why I hate Wal-Mart. It's so big I can't ever find him.

He's fun to be with though, and can find bargains I'd have missed. So yes, I do like shopping with him.

• juellie1962
    13 years ago

I'm with Toby; i think it's weird when a man hangs around the dressing room door........I guess some women want their husband's approval or opinion, but I KNOW when something looks good or not and wouldn't wait for my dh to "ok".....

• marlingardener
    13 years ago

I absolutely LOVE shopping with my husband. He is much more patient than I. When clothes shopping (which I hate) if I don't see it hanging on the rack right in front of me with a big "sale" tag, I assume the store doesn't have what I want. He will search, show me things, and talk me down from my high horse.
    Grocery shopping--we go to a big grocery about once every six months to stock up on "exotic" things like some spices and pastas (who would have thunk that orzo was "exotic"?). He is much more of the "hey, let's try this" than I am. We have discovered some really great foods because he wanted to try them.
    Hardware stores--we both love them and get more than we intended, but useful "stuff". Garden centers and nurseries we both enjoy, but I do the selecting (bless his heart, he doesn't know a kohlrabi from a marigold). He never, in all our years of marriage, has objected to my expenditures on plants. That alone is proof that he is an exemplary husband!

• caroline94535
    13 years ago

Oh heck no!

Oh heck, heck, heck no!!

If I were to coerce him into a shopping trip he'd be tortured; I'd truly be tortured, and one of us would end up in the back of a police car.

We will, once or twice a year, go to the huge Barnes and Noble in Fargo, or if he's feeling very indulgent, maybe every other year or so, we'll go to an antique store together. We also go to the Dog Supply Stores and Farm Supply stores together...and enjoy them!

I do the grocery shopping alone. He does carry everything in from the garage. I unload and put away; he carries the extras to the basement pantry. (Moaning and groaning the entire time.)

I've never clothes-shopped with any man. I couldn't imagine! LOL I will pick up socks and underwear for him, even jeans and shirts. We're neither one fashion models so it's easy to get the basics for him. He picks out and buys his "real" clothes...all the hunting gear!

Some of your "fun shopping together" stories gave me warm fuzzies. Thanks for sharing.

• firemanswife
    13 years ago

NO NO NO! I don't like shopping with him or anyone else. I would much rather go by myself! I love to look and shop and not be rushed. DH is so patient and will take me any where but I don't like wasting peoples time and I know he would rather be doing something else so I always feel guilty if he's with me.

• peoniesandposies
    13 years ago

Definitely! I hate to go shopping, so if my husband comes along it makes the outing enjoyable.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

I love shopping with my husband. We both hate malls and like smaller stores. As for grocery shopping, I see it as an unavoidable chore and when he comes along, it makes it enjoyable.

• marry
    13 years ago

We shop together all of the time!
    We do lots of things together. Monday he came home
    from work and wanted to know if I wanted to go pick
    strawberries. Heck yeah! We went and picked 16 pounds
    of strawberries, brought them home, got showered and
    off we went to the mall. I had a 15% off coupon for
    Penny's and they had some really nice nightgowns on
    sale. Got a really good buy. I held up the two that I
    liked and he picked the one that he liked best. Then
    we did some grocery shopping on the way home.
    We laugh and have a good time together.

• Mystical Manns
    13 years ago

Every Saturday morning during, spring to fall, we go yard-saling together and just plain have a ball. We banter, we catch up on things, we talk about the future ... anything and everything. We agreed, early-on, that he gets 'his' money and I get 'mine' to buy with, and the other person CANNOT make any comment other than POSITIVE about what is being purchased. LOL. So I can't fuss that he 'already has three of those' and 'why do you need another one?"

He goes clothes shopping with me, not to give approval but just to keep me company. And yes, he sits in the chair outside the dressing room to wait for me. I don't shop often, so when I do it's typically a marathon and he doesn't want to stand while I'm changing.

When HE shops for clothes, it's walk in ... find the 1st thing that meets the criteria (shoes, size 10 ... jeans, size 36 waist and 29 length) and buy it. He rarely takes anything back. He only wears black t-shirts and has probably 30 of them, some still in packages. He started doing this when he retired from the Army, replacing their uniform with his own version. LOL

We go to Sam's or Costco about once a month, and we do most of our local grocery shopping together each week. If we're in a hurry, I may send him to the meat counter while I'm getting other items. But normally we spend at least an hour in the stores, looking around to see what's new.

All in all, it's a fun time to spend together.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Love shopping with my husband. Any kind of shopping. He's patient, fun and has good decision-making sense.

Jodi-

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

YUK!!!! NO! NO! NO! The only shopping we do together is our occasional trip to Costco and I hate it. It's an hours driving time there and back and 20 minutes after we get there he says okay let's go. I wish he would stay home!

• kathy_
    13 years ago

Oh heck no!
    Oh heck, heck, heck no!!

YUK!!!! NO! NO! NO!

That about sums it up. He is usually out the door before I get past the second aisle.
    I like auctions, but he buys stuff as soon as I am not looking. He just took back a purchase for today - paid $150 for a new string trimmer and it doesn't start! He took it back and right now is probably cussing some poor mennonite gal. I thought it should stay and keep the chain saw that won't start company.
    His idea of clothes shopping is going to Sears twice a year. If they ever close Sears, all the men in his family will be buck naked.

• ronf_gw
    13 years ago

I'd rather stay home and pull my fingernails out with a pair of pliers.

Ron

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

LOLOL Ron!

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

we shop costco and sams every week...i like to make lists and buy, he like to go on every isle...so sometimes i take a "bathroom" break, lol...by the time i find him he's usually near the front...

i don't mind shoe shopping with him...he knows what style he likes so it's a matter of trying on just a few pair...now me he hates cause it's so hard for me to find shoes that fit..we go up to the outlet mall about once a year (easy spirit) then he wants to buy more than i can wear, lol...

i do all his clothes shopping alone, same for me..

• Lily316
    13 years ago

In a word NO...We do grocery shopping. He stands at the deli while I do all the rest. I can always find him sitting up front with his iPod touch . Keeps him occupied. I always see couples in stores together. Not so here. I "lose" him the minute we enter a store, and it really irritates the heck out of me.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

NO! I don't like to shop really. I shop like a guy. Go in,pick up what I need and I'm out of there. I'll browse places like home stores and kitchen places and I like to check out appliances and other house stuff but I'm all about function. I either drive salespeople nuts or quickly earn their respect when I refuse to let them sell me on the "cosmetics" of something. I want quality and function. I don't really care if the item comes in puce. I've been known to take things like ranges apart in the store. Not unscrewing or dismantling but removing all that lifts off, pulls out etc. I check for burrs and ask about factory finish. I look at weld and rivets and how well the anodize is on cookware. I heft things, check them for balance and think about how I will use the item.

I used to take DH with me to shop for appliances but now I am confident enough in my mechanical abilities to do it without him. After all these years I understand how things are built and very often how they work.

DH is more of a consumer than I am. He is more apt to make impulse buys than I am. So I don't like taking him shopping. I do send him shopping for groceries and stuff but always with a list. He always buys something extra.

I'm the frugal one so I hold the purse strings. DH keeps a generous sum of walking around and personal expenses money and hands over the rest.

• deamn
    13 years ago

NO!! I am one that likes to go in, get what I need and go. But DH, he wanders, so I spend just as much time trying to hunt him down as I do shopping!!

You know those stretchy things that I have seen attached to kids wrists so they can't wander off? Do they make em' in adult sizes?????

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

AnytimeI go with hubby he has to go to bathroom, shopping makes his bowels move????????Who knows he can go by himself.

• lesterd
    13 years ago

I'll shop with my husband ONLY if we're shopping for my birthday present! The rest of the time, I hate shopping with him...he hates shopping with me. One of the things in our marriage that we agree on!

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

No because he doesn't like shopping and I don't really either. The only place we go shopping together is Costco. On the rare occasion that he needs to buy business attire I will usually go with him because he wants my opinion on his fashion choices. I don't mind that because he doesn't mind it.

Whenever he sees some man tagging along looking bored and out of place shopping with his wife he always tells me how happy he is that I don't make him do that.

• kacee2002
    13 years ago

I don't really like shopping.I don't like to go with anyone else when I do. When I go shopping it because I need/want something. I have that in mind and I go in, find it and buy it. That's it. An acquaintance was trying to get me to go to Vegas with another friend. She said "And we can go SHOPPING!" like that would excite me....NOT! Other than picking up something for the grands I go to Vegas for the slots,food and to see shows/sights, not shop.DH likes to have me go with him for advice when he buys clothes. Thank goodness that's only about once a year.
    I grocery shop by myself also. DH owns grocery stores, the last thing he wants is to shop.LOL

• zuzka
    13 years ago

hah I see many ppl don't like shopping! nor me! I hate going for food to the supermarket,because there is always so many people and I have to wait "hours" to pay for what I buy.I always go with my mother,cuz she doesn't shopping 2,so we buy and go out.instead when dad goes with us,he always has to look for every stupid thing and we have to wait for him :P

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations