SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepatty

Would Your Husband/Wife/Significant Other Notice?

maggiepatty
7 years ago

If you changed a non-working light fixture for a totally different (and working!) light fixture in a main room of your house?

For the past many weeks, the large fluorescent light fixture in our kitchen has not worked.

I hemmed and hawed about replacing the fixture, and one thing led to another so we just lived with the low light levels provided by our recessed lights, week after week.

Last week DH was away and I had some time off from work so I got the new fixture installed, which also meant repairing the ceiling and having the ceiling painted. Between the new light fixture's super-high light output and the new paint, my kitchen is lit up like a football field at night.

DH came home and was in the kitchen cooking within a couple of hours. Turned on the lights, cooked, washed dishes, etc. Did not appear to notice the blazing lights. Same the next day and today.

The old fixture was a rectangle about 24 by 40", all white. The new one is an 18" circle with a black/bronze base.

Our ceilings are only 8' tall. It's not like you have to make an effort to look up high.

DH is an absent-minded professor type, so I would not expect him to notice subtle differences between similar fixtures, but between a non-working fixture and one that puts out the light of a thousand suns, I cannot believe he hasn't noticed.

What about your spouses? Would they notice? Have they ever totally not noticed something you expected them to spot right away?

Comments (49)