SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bullydosmom

I need a pep talk.

bullydosmom
10 years ago

I'll try to give you the short version. I live in a lovely, beautifully restored, not remodeled, home built in 1796. I love antiques and anything old. But it's time for some changes. I'm starting with our bedroom because we came home from Florida 3 weeks ago and found we had a leaky roof. Water stain on the plaster walls and ceilings in the front hall and our room:( so I need to repaint.

The roofs been replaced. So now onto the paint.All the woodwork is painted with old village oil paint. It is now a color called "Tavern Table Blue" it's a beautiful dark blue appropriate for the era of this home. BUT I want a lighter color. And I don't know what to do. The room faces south but as with all 18 century homes in New England the windows are small and the ceiling are low, I'm 5'4" and if I raise my arm straight up I can touch the ceiling with the palm of my hand!

What I want to do is lighten the wood work. The walls and ceiling will probably stay white unless someone can suggest something different. But I'm afraid. I think there is way to much paneling for it to be white, might make it to modern.
The bed is a king and while the room isn't tiny,it's 12 by 20 the placement of the doors and windows make the placement of the bed difficult. Right now it's covering the fireplace! Which is why I don't have a headboard, thought it would to busy.

I went to BM and got an education on how to property use latex over oil so that part doesn't scare me as much as not choosing the right color. I like a color called natural wicker by BM. But I just don't know. Help please. I'm going to try and attach a picture of the woodwork that I want to paint.

Comments (23)