SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Ideas for lowering pocket door ) 1'?

2ajsmama
13 years ago

My builder had the modular factory set all the doors downstairs 1" off the subfloor b/c we were installing tile & hardwood. Didn't pay attention to the fact that prehung doors have 1"+ clearance built into them - he said they were "cut for carpet" and we actually had more problems with the carpeted rooms upstairs that had the doors set on the subfloor (1/2" pad plus carpet).

Anyway, we have 4 pocket doors in the house, 1 had finished flooring installed. We lowered it as much as possible on the hangers but there is no way to really lock them in so 1-2x/yr the door (powder room gets lots of use) falls off one hanger (bolt unthreads from roller). I cannot find a 14-20 machine screw (need 1 1/2" or longer) that will fit in the hanger screwed to the top of the door, all the heads are too big. Johnson says they don't sell/have longer (than 1 1/4") ones. It looks like it was ground down (can see faint thread marks) for them and nut welded on where the lever on the hanger flips to lock the door onto the bolt hanging down from the roller assembly.

Only other thing I can think of at this point is to open up the wall, take out the track, and put a 2x4 between the header and the track. Doing that and patching/painting might be easier than trying to grind down some machine screws to fit in the hanger.

Anybody have any other ideas? I don't really want to replace the door with a hinged door b/c the coat closet door is across the (narrow) hall, we had that problem in old house so I specified pocket door in new house. Should have put the pocket on the coat closet (less use) but now that would be major rebuild of coat closet and pantry, crossing marriage wall. Couldn't reuse door if hinged b/c notched out for square pull, not cup pull.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (10)