SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauraa_gw

Painting the ceiling in my dining room, Pic

lauraa
15 years ago

The ceiling in my dining room needs painting because I had to do some patchwork. I am thinking that I will paint it the wall color, Tobacco Road. I really think that it will show off the crown moulding. Would it look stupid that the dining room ceiling is the only one that is a color other than white? The dining room is to the left when you walk in the front door and the entry has a two story entry. The dining room is really the only ceiling you see when you walk in. Should I do it?

I only had a picture that showed one wall of the dining room but I wanted to show the color of the wall and the crown moulding.

Comments (34)

• teacats
    15 years ago

Instead of the exact same shae -- how about a shade lighter?

Or -- for a more dramatic look -- how about several shades darker?

• lauraa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hmmmmm, great suggestion about the darker shade. I actually have a little bit left of the darker shade down from Tobacco Road, Tattersall Brown. I might put a little on the ceiling to see how it looks. The dining room does get a lot of natural sun light.

• Related Discussions

Painting dining room Desert Tan BM what green my work with it?

Q

Comments (1)
    The lime green is a popular color for modern kitchens, because it instantly brightens the room. It looks great with the red cabinet, white trim and brown table and chairs. Here is a link that might be useful: Toronto Home Renovations, Toronto House Renovations
    ...See More

Painting my dining/living room

Q

Comments (1)
    Do you have an inspriation pic of your idea yet? Here's a dining room with the colors flipped: http://www.craftsmanperspective.com/images/renovation/diningroom2004.jpg Here's a dining room with red and white: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TKTLIhBfAM8/SENodAtDQKI/AAAAAAAAAt0/kXpsBbkl-
    ...See More

what size abstract painting on my dining room (124x124)wall.

Q

Comments (12)
    I don't agree with the others. If you have the wood trim and wall painted all one color, it appears as more of a "texture". It seems busy with the tape-white wall picture, but that's not what it will be. If it were me, I would install and paint the wall treatment, then tape out or cut a paper template of both sizes to see what I thought. My first inclination is that I would for sure go with 60 x 60.
    ...See More

Painting my dining room

Q

Comments (119)
    Cant see this painting as well in my “before” pic but it was also kinda blending in with the green wall. I like how the new wall color works with the yellow sun in the art now. And yes I still have my Christmas “garland” but I might leave it up til spring. Or til I move.
    ...See More
  • parma42
    15 years ago

I'm assuming you have a chandelier in the DR. If so, the light looks so great at night reflecting off of a darker ceiling.

• dprisock1027
    15 years ago

lauraa - I LOVE your colors. When you describe your layout - it sounds exactly like mine. I'm looking forward to seeing the results! Good luck!

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I think you should do this on your ceiling, Laura:

{{!gwi}}

Of course, this would certainly add something unique to your diners' experience... ;-)

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: You can get more ideas & some you might like here

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

Personally I think a dark ceiling would feel oppressive. To set off the pretty crown molding I would mix some of the wall color with white so that it is a shade or two lighter then the walls.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

All my ceilings are white with the exceptions of the foyer and guest bath. If you haven't seen the photo's I've posted, let me know and I'll post them for you. They both look fabulous if I say so myself!!

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I think that a darker ceiling in the DR w/ that great moulding would look fantastic! The ceiling in my central hall downstairs is the only ceiling painted in our house. It is light blue w/ off white walls. The light blue ceiling picks up all of the light blue accents in the adjoing rms. off of the hall. Everytime I look at my gold mini chandelier w/ black fringed shades against the ceiling I still absolutely love it!

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Well if you've read my posts over the past year, you know I'm the biggest cheerleader for color on the ceilings. I think it would look great and isn't too dark for your color scheme. If you're the least big worried, go for the one shade lighter!

My favorite poster (fab40) who had lots of color on her ceilings doesn't have her links available anymore. I swear she had a room with a color similar to yours. ???

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

If you already have the Tattersall Brown, then paint a poster board and tape to the ceiling to get an idea. If it is too dark, then paint with the Tobacco Road. It will look gorgeous!

• dabunch
    15 years ago

Lauraa-

I don't have any suggestions for the ceiling, but I love your window treatments.

Could you tell me where you got those short curtain rods? I'm looking for some 12"-18" ones to do something similar. Are they wood? Did you cut them or did you find them that way?
    thanks.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Painted ceilings look awesome. For subtle color, go a shade lighter, if you want to go dramatic, have it faux finished. I sponged a Ralph Lauren gold on our textured ceiling. I had done the same thing in our previous home, only the ceiling was not textured. I loved it in the previous home, the gold looked like it had a leather finish. Here you cant tell that because the ceiling is textured, but it will give you an idea.

This is just one color, you can have it fauxed with multiple colors, several friends have done it, and it looks beautiful.

• lauraa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finished the ceiling yesterday and I LOVE it. Makes me want to go and paint more of my ceilings!!!!!!

Oceanna, if I could only be so talented!!!!!

dabunch, I got the rods at JC Penneys on sale. I think I paid about $30.00 for each. I did buy them online. I did not find them at the store. I will try and find them and post a link for you. I love them. I didn't need to close the drapes, I just wanted them for decoration. When I had my hubby put them up for me he asked me if I had bought the wrong thing, he thought I had bought the store sample. MEN!!!!!

gk5040, your ceiling is amazing!!!

Here is a picture of mine:

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Wow Laura!!! That looks fantastic!! So did you end up with the Tobacco Road or the darker one, I can't tell.

What a good example of how gorgeous color on the ceiling can look. This post should be bookmarked for all those who are unsure! Great job!

Lindy

• dprisock1027
    15 years ago

absolutely beautiful! Is that the shade darker that you already had or is that same as walls. Whatever it is, it's awesome!

• lauraa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ended up going with the color that is on the walls, Tobacco Road. When you walk into the house from the front door the two story entry wall connects with the dining room ceiling and I thought that it would look better if the colors were the same.

• parma42
    15 years ago

It looks great lauraa!

What impresses me the most is the fact that the it's done two days after the OP. If I posted something, I'd still be trying to make up my mind months later.

• Irish2
    15 years ago

Ceiling looks great!
    My husband painted our bedroom ceiling a shade lighter...
    I love the look...we haven't had white ceiling in years!

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Laura, I would also paint the return register the same ceiling color. Take it down to paint it a few light coats. Should you go back to a white ceiling one day they are so cheap to replace. I think it needs to blend into the ceiling rather than sticking out. Otherwise, it looks great. I have painted mine since the pic was taken. Another way to dress up your ceiling is to add a medalion around the light fixture and paint it white.

• dprisock1027
    15 years ago

You have inspired me to paint mine. The only problem is, my ceilings aren't smooth. I have searched previous post so long that my eyes are watering. Do you remember any discussions on that issue? (I'm sorry if it's rude for me to ask on your thread, I'll blame it on being delirious from looking for so long) :)
    Thanks!

• lauraa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

parma42, I have been thinking about doing it for awhile and this week was a good one. I jumped right in!!!!!

dprisock, I painted the ceilings in my old house that had popcorn but I painted them white. I think that you could still paint the popcorn ceiling a color. In my old house I ended up getting a floor scrapper (the kind you use to get old linoleum up, kind of looks like a snow shovel but flat) and scrapped the popcorn off. It did not all come off but it made the ceiling looks as if it had a texture to it. Paint your ceiling, it will look good!!!!!

gk5040, I stood there yesterday when I was done but had not cleaned up the paint mess and thought about that register. I ended up pulling up a picture on hgtv.com message board and they had not painted the register. I thought to myself then that if I wanted to paint it I could do it easily. I also like the medallion idea. Thanks!!!!

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

dprisock, what kind of texture do you you have? We don't have smooth ceilings either. Not popcorn but textured ceilings are the norm here.

• dprisock1027
    15 years ago

I really love the smooth ceilings but I don't dare mention scrapping the ceilings to my dh after our kitchen remodel. However, if you guys think a color would look alright on these, I think I would do it. If it looked half as good as laura's I would be happy. What do you think?
    {{!gwi}}

• wearybuilder
    15 years ago

Looks great! I'm playing around with the idea of a blue ceiling in our Mbed and Mbath (with SW latte walls).

Anyone have any pics to help inspire me?

Thanks!

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

dprisock, that's called Slapbrush or Crow's feet. It won't be as bad as trying to do it over popcorn textures but you would need a good roller. I found a few articles on painting textured ceilings and they recommend a long nap roller. Mine doesn't have as many points as yours since it's knockdown but here's a couple pics.

• dprisock1027
    15 years ago

lindybarts - Thanks so much for the information! I had no idea what it was called.

Has anyone seen this type ceiling painted in a color?

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I'm with Parma. My questions get posted and weeks later, I get the job done. This turned out very nice...

Red

• lauraa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dprisock, I do not think that I have seen any pictures of a ceiling like yours painted but people take pictures of their painted ceilings and really from a picture yours would look smooth unless you took a picture really up close. I think that your ceiling would look GREAT painted. If you want to do it, then jump right in and do it. When I painted my popcorn ceilings I used a smooth roller. I found that with the bigger nap roller the popcorn was flying all over me.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I defer to Laura on what kind of roller to use since she's done it before but just wanted to show dprisock how your ceiling looks with a bit of color....fabulous! Sorry Laura, guess we did kind of hijack your thread!

• dprisock1027
    15 years ago

Thanks lindybarts - that does help! I am going to show my dh laura's pictures so that he will get inspired to try it.

Laura - I really apologize for hijacking your thread. I just absolutely loved yours so much that I couldn't help but ask questions. Sorry but one more question if you don't mind, where did you find your drapes?!?! I am in LOVE with them.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Looks great!

• lauraa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dpriscok, you did not hijack my thread, we are all talking about painting ceilings!!!!! If I inspire someone then that makes me feel good.

When I started thinking about drapes in my dining room, I really knew what I wanted. I started shopping around and kept finding the same fabric at different fabric stores. I was at one and got a price and it would have been over $800 per panel. Then I went to another fabric store and got a sample of the same fabric. The lady there then told me that they had panels already made in the back of the store. I paid about $120 per panel and they are lined. I jumped on that!!!!! I bet if you went to your local fabric store/stores you would be able to find drapes already premade.

• dprisock1027
    15 years ago

What a great idea! I will do that this weekend! I was shocked at prices when I started shopping for drapes! It makes you want to take up sewing!

Thanks again for your pictures! I will post mine as soon as I get it done!