SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valleigh_gw

Please help with understanding windows!

valleigh
14 years ago

We are remodeling and building an addition to our 1926 house that currently has double hung 6 over 1 windows, with sash cords and all. Some windows we are keeping and just repairing sashes, some are new, but going into existing walls, but new location and some going into new brand walls. The house is stucco. In total, we are adding about 40 windows so it's a sizable component of our budget. The new windows will be a mix of 24" and 36" wide also to be double hung, 6 over 1 and two casements in the kitchen.

My architect has specified a mix of Andersen 200 and 400. One prospective builder told me that with the tax credit, it is only a little bit more to simply do all 400s. Now someone else I know who did a lot of shopping around and also mixing old/new said to go with Jeldwen - that you're just paying for a name with Andersen and Marvin. Then one builder told me about a Canadian company Bonneville???

My main question is, what do I need to learn about windows and brands? Or is it more about how they're installed? We have bids from 4 prospective builders. SHould I be asking them anything specific about windows?

Should I just go with what architect specd or is there something comparable for less $ or better for the same $ that will look good with the old ones/function well (bit I guess not as good as the old glass.) Once you decide on a brand, is there much price variation depending on where you buy them, or should I just let the builder we end up choosing deal with that?

Any help or suggestions of good sources to learn about this would be great. Windows are so important, but I don't know how much I should look into this myself or rely on architect and builder.

Thanks!

Comments (4)