SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Please help me understand fillers - needed with all drawers?

AMS
6 years ago

Hi all,

I'm in the very early stages of planning a kitchen remodel - like, super early: I haven't even closed on the house yet. However, in 6 weeks I will be the proud owner of a tiny galley kitchen (8'10" long, 9" wide). On a related note, your helpful feedback encouraged me to buy my house! https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/4920234/are-you-happy-with-your-tiny-galley-kitchen?n=41

Anyway, I've been playing around with the IKEA software, and it keeps giving me vague warnings about objects being too close, or not being able to open. Can someone please help me understand fillers and when they are necessary?

For example, if I have a galley kitchen (so there are no corners where runs of cabinetry meet), and if I have base cabinets with drawers on my outermost edges (against walls), then I assume that I do not need any fillers to allow the drawers to open - is this true?

For uppers, how much space should be allowed in order for a door to open? For example, if I have 37.5" of wall space until a window, would 36" wide uppers (with two 18" doors) fit? That would leave only 1.5" of filler on the left (circled in red in the image below).

Thanks for your feedback!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio