SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladynimue

Please help me understand - Seller pays 6%

ladynimue
15 years ago

We're getting a bit frustrated with negotiating and understanding an offer made on our home.

Buyers want us to pay 6% of all closing, prepaids, etc. This is up to 6% of the sell price, per our agent. Is this correct?

They are 1st time buyers w/an FHA loan and apparently don't have any cash. At first we went the rounds with our agent thinking they could only legally ask for and get 3% - now he says it's been confirmed they can get 6%.

The problem is that we have just lowered our asking to our rock bottom price, much lower than comps, and we want them to offer or accept 6% above that price - so that they are essentially borrowing the extra 6% they want from us.

We have asked for an estimate of what all these costs will be - and they seem unable to understand that or are unwilling or unable to provide it - and I'm not even sure we need it.

Their agent is not much help and frustrates our agent - their agent is new, young, and recently switched brokers and seems to complicate everything. It's also difficult because English is a second language for the buyers - they just don't seem to understand a lot of stuff.

We'd like to make this deal work - since we just lowered the price we might get a better offer in the next couple of weeks, but we're tired, we want to reunite our family, and this offer is on the table right now.

How can we help the buyers and their agent understand what we want? Are we understanding this 6% thing correctly? Do we need a specific number from them - as in what are the expected costs or do we need to set a cap on it? 6% up to $12k or 6% of the appraised value? What am I missing and what do we need to do to protect ourselves?

Comments (25)