SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen_7_5_1

Understanding indoor lighting, help please

Hi! So, I have been reading a lot about indoor lighting and fc vs lux and "get a light meter". Let me start by saying that my orchids are growing beautifully on a shelf above my sink with a florescent "grow light", that is between 6-18 inches above the orchids (depending on plant height). There is a small south window approx. 4.5 feet to the right of this shelf. (small!) There is also a west facing window that is appox 15 feet from the orchid shelf ( I consider this of no real value to the orchids as it is so far away) The west window is about half the size of a "standard" home window. Now, as I said, my orchids are doing really great on their shelf. They have great root growth, lots of air roots and all of them bloom regularly (once or twice a year) and produce 2-3 new leaves a year. ( I have 7 mini phals, 2 regular phals and an oncidium) Over half of these plants are rescues that were on the verge of death when I got them and they are doing great now. So here is the question:

I know that phals need about 1500fc of light to do really well. So I have tested several light meters on ...well all of my plants really as I have a bunch growing indoors, but really focusing on my orchids. According to all of the light meters I have used, at the lowest plant leaf height of 18inches from the source I am getting an "instant read" between 150-180 fc. So now I am thoroughly confused.

Does "1500 fc" mean over the course of the day, as in take 150 times 14 hours of exposure =2,100 fc and so that we are aiming for 1500 fc cumulative over the course of the day or does "1500 FC" mean that for an 8 hour day a plant should be receiving 1500fc/hour of light for every hour of the day?

I know it probably seems really silly and honestly I have a lot of indoor plants that are all doing really really well. Friends and family joke that I have too many and yet every one brings me their sick sad plants cause I can almost always bring them back. Most of the windows in my house are north facing (I have 2 buildings to the west/east that really make growing anything east or west impossible) The point being I use artificial lighting a lot to supplement my plants, LEDs, CFLs mostly. I have always followed an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage but ..... have I been getting it wrong as far as providing enough light for my plants?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County