SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccca_gw

Could you help me understand light?

rebeccca
14 years ago

I have googled and googled and read and read. I have read at gardening sites and at general information sites. I have even posted the question here but, alas, it disappeared into a cyber black hole.

I still don't get it.

Any one pity me enough to help me out?

SHADE

There is a space b/t my house and fence on one side that gets no sun. Even at high noon, it's more like dusk than day. Nothing grows there. I consider this full shade. Is this correct? Is there something shadier than full shade?

PARTIAL SHADE

Mostly when I read about parital shade it says that it also includes dappled light. Do you see what I mean? They say it also includes dappeled sun but they don't explain the parital shade that isn't dappled. What is parital shade besided dappled sun?

PARTIAL SUN

There is an area of my garden that receives full, direct sunlight from +/- noon to evening. Before noon, it isn't dark or shady, it just isn't direct sunlight. Is that partial sun?

FULL SUN

There is one area of my lawn, sadly inconvenient for a garden, that receives full, direct sun from sun up to sun down. I consider this full sun. Correct?

So, here is the one I don't understand (assuming that all the above are correct). A large part of the garden doesn't really fall into any of the above categories. There are several very large, mature trees. The lowest branches are at or above roof height so the ground below is definately not darkly shaded like the dusky area beside my house. However, during no part of the day does this area enjoy direct sunlight. I would call it "indirect sun" but that is only useful in buying indoor plants. Outdoor plants don't seem to ever be labled this way. I dont' really know why but some parts of this area grow grass well while some is patchy. I've looked but don't notice a discernable difference in light.

For the purpose of identifying suitable plants for this area, what kind of light is it???

With bated breath . . .

r

Comments (3)