SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Best ??? to ask home inspector

loves2read
16 years ago

We have put in contract on home that was built in 98--inspector is coming to do home inspection Tusday

The home has nice fairly mature oak trees in west (front) year and then on the east (back) and south...north is where the driveway/garage side is and there are no trees on that side...

The house has a second floor but is not one with lots of vaulted, open space where the second floor air and the first floor air intermingle -- the house has 3 14-SEER AC units--not sure what brand or about the gas furnace ...

There was no radiant barrier installed when it was built and there is plywood decking under the composition shingles...they are due to be replaced because of hail storm before house was up for sale -- that is condition of purchase--seller has received his insurance settlement and will have to show proof of re-roof before closing...

I know that the trees will provide some shade from the heat we have in Dallas-FTW TX area where we live---I want to do everythng we can to hold down the rising energy costs...

there will be no one living upstairs normally--just when our daughter and son in law come in for visits from out of state.....there is game/media room up w/2 beds and bath...we might put pool table up there or some excercise equipment...Should we consider having some type of doorway added up there to close off second floor?

What are some things I should ask the inspector--

my husband plans on being there but his job can be quirky and he might have his boss call a meeting at last minute and he will miss the inspections....

I am interested in whether or not the HVAC is vented and moving air properly---whether there are leaks in the attic vent tubes---they are metallic foil wrapped but not sure if mastic was used to seal them...not sure what level of fiberglass batt insulation is in there...think there are some places where insulation has been knocked off or compressed....this attic has very little room to manuver around--

I have heard there are rolls of metallic film that can be stapled to the rafters to block heat from infiltrating...

I would like to put down foam around light can and whatever else infiltrates into ceilings and around pipe entries but that means moving out the fiberglass in the floor to do it--a time-consuming hassle...

Any suggestions for best way to add some more/better insulation...

we wanted to just build a new, more efficient house but can't find lot w/trees in our price range and location so we gave up and just went with house that has good lot...

hope it works...

Comments (2)