SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

Should I hire a home inspector? X Post on manufactured homes

Debbie B.
8 years ago

Hi all! For those of you who aren't familiar with my situation, I recently bought a 1979 single wide, 3/1.5, 14x64 manufactured home. It is a definite fixer-upper. My plan is to totally renovate it over the next few years. I bought it from a close friend and her husband for almost nothing.

I'm 100% confident they have disclosed everything they know about the house. I bought it "as is." I bought it for $2,000 and have put in $1,000 in some immediate repairs.

But, we don't know what we don't know. I'm going to meet with contractors this summer and I'd like to give them the most accurate information possible so that hopefully we don't run into huge surprises as we go along. I know we'll have to rewire the whole house, and I suspect we may have to, or want to do the plumbing as well.

Do you think I should hire a certified home inspector to come out and do a thorough inspection? What is a general ballpark figure for the cost of such a thing? What kinds of things might an inspector check that I haven't thought of? Is it worth the cost?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Sincerely,

Debbie

Comments (15)