SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chiaki0730

Is it worth keeping old cedar lined closet??

chiaki0730
13 years ago

Hi,

We have 1940 house, and all our closets are cedar lined. But considering either painting or cover them with white color fabric... Needs your advices on this...

When we bought this house, I thought it's nice to have cedar lining in the closets, but I'm finding these cedar wall makes closet pretty dark and hard to see clothes, even after we installed a low-file ceiling light in the closet (the color of plank turned dark brown over 70 years).

We also found a couple of moth in there the other day, we are apparently NOT getting the benefit of cedar lining...

Now, we are preparing our nursery, I would like the closet to be nice & bright, so we can see all these baby/kids cloth easily.

My first idea is to paint the plank. But my husband think this is one of the wonderful feature of our house, and don't want me to paint them.

My second idea is to install bright color fabric over the wall to the cedar wall.

Before we do anything to it, I would like to know if these cedar lining is really worth to keep.

Should we revive them by sanding?? Would it make the color brighter also??

Or is it bad idea to use those fabric wall, which might attract even more moth???

I would appreciate any advices/tips on this.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

-b

Comments (2)