SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Art - I stacked it but have been told would be better side by sid

User
14 years ago

After posting on here the other week I ended up stacking these pictures on the wall beside my drapes. I though they looked nice there. I made sure the top one was in line with the curtain rod. I could really drop them too much lower because the bottom one would be down....well, just too low. I've had numerous people comment that they would've put them side by side instead.

So what do you think? I know it should be what I like blah, blah but I'm curious.

{{gwi:1446815}}

Comments (81)

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bronwynsmom - I think forever now I've been typing your name as Brownysmom! Sorry!
    I haven't put much thought into art just because I didn't know what direction to go. I like the idea of some cream/white art on the walls.

Here's some more....

The LR main wall. I'm not really feeling this.
    {{!gwi}}

The bathroom. I think they're a great size for above the toilet but IRL think they look bad with the valance. The colors are pretty off and I think it's too much flowers for me or something. It's hard to take pics in here. If it were up to me I'd rip out the whole vanity including lights and redo.. however, I'm at the mercy of other people for the time being.
    {{!gwi}}
    Think burgundy! This picture isn't showing the color very well.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I'll throw another one in the mix. There's also this option in my kitchen area. You would see this coming in from the side door. Entrance to the left leads into the LR. When entering, the tv would be to my left.
    {{!gwi}}
    Some more shots of the kitchen/DR area.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Not to worry! Bronwyn is a peculiar name. I knew you meant me!
    I think the pictures would look perfect over the john.
    And in the space to the right of the tall case in your living room, something light and big and bold. Like this.
    Okay, a little less dramatic...but you see what I mean?

• Related Discussions

Art Work - Too Small for Wall?

Q

Comments (60)
    Thanks everyone ... I appreciate all the help and compliments I received on this! The rug isn't new, but it was my 3rd try until I got it "right" You know I didn't even think to move the picture up a little, to cover the box, but I will definitely do that. Unfortunately my whole house needs to be rewired, so I will have many more of these type holes to patching paint!
    ...See More

Art or No Art, that is the question?

Q

Comments (23)
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I would like all the furniture pieces to stay in the room, plus no other spot in the home for them. I am going to move the dresser under the window and move the chest of drawers to the wall where the dresser currently is and see how that looks and feels. TV may have to go as it is rarely used anyway. Not having a mirror over the dresser will be a change for me, lol. neverbedone - thanks for the picture, it really takes care of the space below the window and looks nice and neat. Olychick - Could I used draperies that match the current color of my Roman shades? I do want to keep them as they let light into a drab north/east room. Mrs S. - You are right, moving the chest of drawers would definitely give us some extra space when walking into the room and in front of the bed. TV not used much and it may go out of the room. RITA - Not looking for actually suggestions for art, just sizes and a pleasing placement on the wall. If I move the furniture pieces as suggested above, I may be able to also hang a piece above the chest of drawers. Again, thanks for all your suggestions, they have opened my eyes to new possibilities with the room.
    ...See More

Where to place art work around this buffet

Q

Comments (20)
    Awesome suggestions! I've been sparked! @njmomma: I like this example. As the original buffet comes with a mirror, I don't like it. Perhaps a separate vintage mirror would be nice to reflect some light in the space. Then I can hang pictures around it. @yvonne: I have hordes of pottery and you bring up a good idea; instead of buying more art I should hang my pottery on the wall, after taking off the mirror top. We have quite a few family pictures; in our previous home the buffet was flanked by those vintage items. However as this space has less traffic than the front hallway where I was considering for the family pictures, I'll keep the pottery in this location and the family pictures in the front hallway. @holly: I'm refining my mint favorites. I'm looking at reds, oranges in abstracts and landscapes. However previous suggestions of using pottery may put Minted on the back burner. @tedbixby: yes I have considered putting the wicker chairs on either side of the buffet..To the right of the buffet is a dry sink which is normally in the living room but due to the Christmas tree we had to switch it out with a drop leaf table (which is usually to the right of the buffet under the window). @grover: the room functions as it is. There's a dog pen because we have to pen them when we're gone. We don't use a dining room table, so it doesn't need to function as that. And we have an abundance of antiques but less room than our previous house so we have to find a wall for them. I wish we could put them in storage, but these are my husband's family pieces and he's not interested in doing that. And he's not ready to reduce the inventory, so we have to work with the pieces in the square footage that we have.
    ...See More

Art or no Art over stone fireplace?

Q

Comments (19)
    Thanks everyone. I agree on the drapes, they came with the house - don’t love them. But the in addition to the two windows on each side of the fire place there there is a very large window on the walls to right and the left. So this will be quite an expense that I was trying to avoid. But definitely an option and would do in a similar way as @BeverlyFLADeziner suggests. I also agree with a chunkier mantel, however the mantel replacement will require additional stone work, so unless I can modify what I have, vs. replace it - that is not an option. I will definitely keep my eyes open for Art, you have sent some great suggestions that I like a lot. I don’t think I will go with a mirror, as I had one up for awhile and hated the reflection.. as some has commented could be an issue.
    ...See More
  • anele_gw
    14 years ago

I don't think you should stack them no matter where they go. I think they DO need to be higher up since the frames are so thick, but you'd have to have even higher ceilings for that.

I think they are too heavy for your bathroom. You need something a little lighter/not so formal (esp. the frame size). The kitchen space will make them look too cramped. On the wall by the armoire and between the lamp, I think they will look just a little lost. I agree that the picture you used to have was a better size. I also think, whatever picture you do put on that wall should have a fairly bold/simple look (not busy, in other words) since it is on a far wall . . .so people don't have to squint to see.

My vote for the perfect space is where you were originally going to put them, even if the table is smaller. I think that space is ideal. I'd keep the table there for now, and if you find something bigger, great . . .but the pictures belong there!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well it's getting to be that time of the night where I start to get silly with decorating ideas. :) So I'm going to sleep on it for tonight.

Bronwynsmom - Thanks for that pic reference. I think I know what you're talking about now.

Anele - If they stay in the original spot do you mean keep them also the original height? Also keeping the stand on that side?

• pris
    14 years ago

IMO if you like them where they are, then that's where you should keep them. If that is the case then the only thing I would do is(as previously stated) lower them. Right now they are way to close to the ceiling. This is a LR which means that you will be looking at your wall decor from a seated position. In this case up. I was always told the rule of thumb was to hang art at eye level. In a gallery setting this would place the center of the grouping at approx. 56" from the floor, but in a room used primarily for sitting there is some leeway down. Why don't you try paper cutouts the same size as your pictures and move them down to a level that is comfortable for viewing while seated on the couch. Then if you don't like them in that place, move your cutouts to other places in the room to see if there is a place you might like better.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pris - How they were originally placed..the bottom one was a little above eye level for me. I'm 5' 1". I agree in a group they're too high though.
    But I wanted to mention the paper cutouts above are the exact same size as the pics.

• pris
    14 years ago

Try placing them with the space between the two pictures at your "eye level" and see how that works for you. Then sit on the couch or a chair and see if that's comfortable for viewing from that position. Just remember that there are no hard and fast rules for what YOU do in YOUR space. What makes you happy is all that matters.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

RE: In the original spot in the original height . . .

This spot I think they'd go best is where you moved the clock. They were just on the table in that photo.

As for how to hang them, from what I've heard, people usually hang pictures too high. However, I am your height, so what I do is put them at MY eye level, and then just a little higher.

I am reconsidering what I said about something bold on that big wall by the armoire. I just changed pictures from a simple portrait w/o detail to a garage sale find ($2!!!!) that is a faded landscape . . .much more subtle, and I think I actually prefer the more subtle look now.

I am wondering if this whole art hanging thing is sort of like love. When it's right, you just know. If you feel funny about it, that means it isn't working!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anele -
    "This spot I think they'd go best is where you moved the clock. They were just on the table in that photo"
    So the picture above of demilune table with the pics just sitting on top? Is that where you're saying?

Jen - LOL I must have missed that last night!!

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, exactly-- where they are just on the demilune table. That space looks to be about the right size for them. What do you think? Have you had any more thoughts on where you want them?

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, after moving the mock ups all over the house I believe they're either going to go where they were but lower OR above the table.

When I'm standing infront of these my eyes fall about 3" from the bottom of the TOP picture. So they're pretty darn low.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

The problem with the table is if I allow breathing room between they stick out over the legs....
    {{!gwi}}
    So out of these two options which one? If it's option #1 should the plant stand stay on the right?

• sable_ca
    14 years ago

Sheesharee - I agree with Anele and am sticking to my suggestion that they would look both important and pretty over your table. It doesn't matter if they extend beyond the table width. Take a look at Guido gardener's thread about hanging pictures, where many people have posted their artwork. Quite a few of us hang art that is as wide as or wider than whatever is beneath, Auntjen for example.

To me they look lost between the drapes and the armoire, especially with people oriented in the other direction toward the TV.

But only you will know what most pleases your eyes!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well honestly I like them above the table a tad better but was worried about the whole balance thing. Plus if they're lower on the wall beside the window I don't know that I like the plant stand to the right. IRL it looks too crowded in that area (plant stand to right/near the entrance) and it's wide open near the window. Someday when we have kids I'm sure I could use the space (near the window)for a basket type thing for toys but that's not an issue any time soon.

I'm going to check out that thread and search for pics of AuntJen's house again!

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I don't think you will notice the table width. To my eyes, the table is pretty, and the art fits the space, so it would look better than the original/stacked look, which looks (again, just to my eyes, and just from the photo) cramped.

From your mock-ups, I would suggest putting them a little higher if you decide to put them by the table, esp. if you keep the lamp there.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well here tis above the table. I went a little higher. The middle is like 62" instead of 60" so it's a little above eye level for me. Ceilings are 8'. I feel like they're floating away from the table but again...the lamp being there and not eveyone is 5' tall. I see I need to slide the table over a tad.

Does this work better? I didn't bother to take the nails out of the wall beside the window yet. :)
    {{!gwi}}

Before (so you don't have to scroll alllll the way up)
    {{gwi:1446815}}

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

I like them side by side above the little table but I would still lower them a bit.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For some reason DH is giving his decorating 2 cents tonight and complaining how it looks "stupid" because the lamp is overlapping the picture. I didn't even bother to nail the other side yet until I hear from someone else.

Is this too low now? The middle is actually lower than 60".
    {{!gwi}}
    This is the view from the foyer going into the LR. I see it's actually a little lower than the foyer pic. Oops.
    {{!gwi}}

???

• pris
    14 years ago

This last side by side is good. The only thing I would change is either the lamp for a shorter one or another grouping on the table below it. Try the replacing the lamp with the clock (for the purpose of gauging height) and see if DH still objects the the picture placement. As for the difference in height from LR to Foyer, the foyer is a "standing" room and the artwork would be hung a little higher to view while standing. While the living room is a "sitting" room and allows for hanging a little lower. Foyers, kitchens and hallways are rooms you would stand in or walk through. Living rooms, dining rooms, family rooms you would normally walk into and then sit down before viewing the artwork.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I definitely think this is an improvement! One more possibility-- what about spreading them just a little bit further apart?

I don't like the lamp overlapping the pictures either . . .I think pris's idea was good, to try the clock there to judge the height. I think they can go up a little from the last one in any case. I wonder if the height you had in picture #1 but spread apart a bit more would help with the balance . . .

• andee_gw
    14 years ago

Pictures over the table. Lower, as in the first mock-up, and slightly further apart. Don't worry about the width with the table. The taller lamp is ok for now, but don't let its height stop you from hanging the pictures there. If ever you find something else to hang over the table, you can put the two pictures on the wall next to the curtains (stacked, lower).

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

Ok, now to make you really crazy, I think those two prints, while they look good with the table in the photo, are too small for that space. Here's why: way up your Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 17:52 post, the last picture shows the half-round table and a glimpse of the cabinet in one view. It seems like the cabinet is very tall and heavy, and you need a LOT of something on the wall over the half-round table to balance it -- like a set of 4 prints arranged in a square.

This is the problem with decorating via photos...the scale of the entire room is easy for us to miss!

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

bungalow house-- I think that is a different table/different wall.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

My 2 cents. The pictures look best behind the table, with perhaps a 3 inch opening between the frames. You could either lower the lamp by taking it off the books that are underneath it, or move the lamp and replace the clock that used to be on this table. Try both arrangements and see which is more appealing to you.

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

This is the photo I'm referring to.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha I'm ready to throw these prints in trash. . . :) jk

Here's some more adjustments.... I'm getting confused myself with what picture 1 is etc. Are we talking about the lower picture or the higher one?

Books behind
    {{!gwi}}
    Books gone
    {{!gwi}}
    Clock and more space between
    {{!gwi}}
    Lamp with more space between
    {{!gwi}}
    Clock with wide space between
    {{!gwi}}
    Lamp with wide space between
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I this this spot in the foyer (side by side) but then don't have a place for this painting. I also originally though the flower pics would work better in the LR.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Also as far as balancing above the table if they stayed in the LR. I could maybe find another picture for above. Or maybe one of those iron door topper things? Plates?

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Shee, don't trash the pictures, I know you were only kidding, but you've gotten a lot of good advice, so just choose which spot YOU like better.

For myself, I'd put the two matching pictures in the LR, it helps make a large room not feel so bare. Then I'd use the other painting over the entryway table.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I still think they look good over that table, armoire and all. I don't think you need more-- it is a smaller wall, and the frames are substantial. I think, though, like oakleyok said, do what feels right to YOU in terms of where/how high/etc.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I'd stack them as you have, but lower. They look too high. Artwork really shouldn't be as high as a drapery rod at the ceiling. Maybe move the plant and put a hurricane candle or something on what looks to be a candlestick stand.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I'd only use one picture over the console table. One of the prints or maybe the wider one that's hanging in the foyer.

The prints might also look nice flanking each side of the draperies, instead of the stacked pair that you feel sits too low when lowered. Looking back at them, it looks like they are the same prints. I didn't go through the whole thread.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Shee, just to give you an idea of stacked prints in a small space, here are mine. They don't bother me one bit! I love them!

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Of your selection of pix, I like the third, titled "clock with more space between", the best. I do think you should use them in the living room, not the foyer, and didn't like any of the stacked arrangements. Of course, that's my personal opinion, though, and you should do what you feel most comfortable with. If you do decide to stack them, they need to be lower than the first picture you showed us, and I also wonder about balance, overall, because you don't have anything on the wall on the other side of the drapes. That's why my preference is for having them above the table with your bunny planter.

• crazyone
    14 years ago

I vote no lamp, over table and more or wide space, you have fabulous patience and camera skills..LOL

• ttodd
    14 years ago

The prints are simply beautiful.

If it's 2, I like vertical unless they will really take up a fair amount of space on a wall which is the only time I like 2 horizontal and even then not so much. I'd rather have 1 big picture instead of 2 side by side.

That said I vote vertical but dropped as mentioned by so many others. I think the spot beside the window is perfect. It's special, like a treasure waiting to be fully discovered, similar to when you go to an overcrowded junk shop, looking, looking, looking and then when you turn a corner 'SURPRISE'! Then should you also decide to put a large framed something on the TV Armoire wall they wouldn't compete or make your walls look over crowded.

I do think that they could work side by side above the table but it wouldn't be my favorite.

Here are mine:

BTW - your place is looking fabulous!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with me and for all the suggestions!

Kmcg and Ttodd - Thanks for posting those pics! I love both your homes!

Ttodd - If I dropped them on the wall beside the window it would lower them into the plant stand. Would you move that to the right side of the bookends??

I like Squirrel's idea of one on each side of the window. What do you think about that?

Pretend the one on the left is centered! :)
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I like that. I'd move it in a bit closer to the drapery panel. The armoire makes it look off-center and too close on the one side. Maybe about 5 inches? To about where that light reflection of the vertical window muntin is on the wall.

• ctlane
    14 years ago

I like the 'clock with more space between' pic and also the last set with one on either side of the drapes.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

That looks nice on each side of the window! I got a great tip here from Les: Lower your pic so that the plant (or whatever else is in front of it) slightly covers a portion of it. It looks less 'planned' and as if it just evolved over time. When you look at really great vignettes in magazine layouts that's what you'll see.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Ah! There's your solution. Out beside the drapery on the wide window.

Then here's what I'd do.

Move the plant that's now in the left corner by the window (and crowding the left one of the pictures) into the other corner to the left of the little table, and shift the table to the right. That will furnish that space more completely, and solve the problem of the scale of your pretty table and its lamp. Then, remove the books, and above the right side of the table, hang either a tall narrow mirror or a small pair of things in light mats, one over the other.

Instant balance, scale, and completion. At least, I think so...

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm getting ready to run out the door quick but wanted to check this.

Bronwynsmom - You mean move the tall plant over beside the table (we've been talking about all this time)? The reason I put the plant there (was originally beside the TV stand) was to help balance out the tall lamp with the black shade. I'll try moving around when I get back. It's amazing how much tweeking I've done to this room once the bones were put together! :)

Thanks everyone!

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I like them on either side of the curtain!!!

I think the examples above in the pps homes with stacked art look lovely! However, the prints and frames are more subtle than yours. Both your frames and prints are very strong/bold, which is why I think where you have them now (one on each side) works so well! BEautiful!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the art moved closer towards the drapes.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Here's the tree moved beside the table. There's a ton of greenery in this room. I love greenery but I'm afraid it's starting to look overkill. I just was throwing accessories around btw.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Here's a pic of some candles I had just for an idea of what that would look like. I don't have any tall color ones at the moment. I think i like the plant better there.
    {{!gwi}}

This is where the tall plant used to be.
    {{!gwi}}

Here's where the plant was at the beginning of this thread.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Pic of the top of the bookends. This is why I need something up there.
    {{gwi:1451005}}

At this point I think I'm going to use the pictures on each side of the window. Not sure what to do about the tall tree. The room isn't done being tweeked yet! :)

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Hmmm...the plant is a little bigger than I thought.
    Keep tweaking.
    You'll suddenly say, "A-HAH!", and that will be that.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

This looks good to me. I really think the lamp needs a bigger shade.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• pammyfay
    14 years ago

No verdict yet? Oy...

BREATHE!

You really don't need any more advice from any of us! Once somebody suggested moving them to another room, that just multiplied every decorating arrangement a thousand times and confused you even more.

Just live with a few of the options--put each look together (using the dummy paper) for a week or so each--as somebody said earlier, I think--and it will click for you which is the best look to your eye. Your other rooms look like you were confident doing them--just trust yourself and your own eye! (and the DH's).

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Guys! I've been on vacation and in and out a lot. Sorry this is the fist I'm getting back to this.

I put them on each side of the window. I do like them there. I wasn't sure about the height at first but after looking at it for a few days I think it's good. They're a little lower than 60" in the middle. It does slightly bother me that they're not centered on the wall on each side of the curtains. They are even in height. Different angles of the room give that illusion. Should the one of the left be lowered a smidge to adjust since people will usually be to the right of the room? If that made sense!!

Better?
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    Still not done messing with a plant for one top of the bookends.

Squirrel - Thank you for all the PS! I agree the lamp shade isn't the one. Awhile back I got tired of searching for it and just kept that one for now. One of the problems I was running into with larger shades was they would cover a lot of the scrolls and crystals and didn't seem to look right either. I know people have suggested a large drum shade was probably what was originally on there but I don't care for it on this lamp. Tried a couple different fringe ones and it it seemed to be too much with the base of the lamp. I will continue my search at some point! I just needed to get something on there and walk away for awhile.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Sheesh, that looks great! I'd just move the plant stand back a little bit. It's almost lined up and covers the painting a bit too much, I think. The drape on the left kind of flares out. Try straightening it like the one on the right, to fall straight down. Then the spacing will look the same from each picture to the panel, as on the right.

I wouldn't try to adjust the one for illusion. Things always shift that way. I think you'll forget about the centering of the pics between the curtain and the wall. You're just focused on that now and over-analyzing. Eventually, I think you'll just see it as a whole.

Yes, that is one tough lamp to dress! It would seem to me that part of the scrolls would need to be covered. When one is sitting on the sofa, they'd probably reveal themselves more, which is more interesting. Overlap is good. I can't imagine any shade not looking perched up there, if it were set to leave all the scrolling and drops unobscured while standing.

Your room is really coming together! The drapes are a big improvement, pulling things together.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Sheesharee, yes, better! Your room is looking very pretty now. Good on ya! :o) How do YOU feel about it?

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Very nice! The distance from the curtains is just right...makes the pictures part of the window arrangement, and that's much more graceful than centering them on the wall itself. And it gives your plant and your tall cabinet enough breathing room.

Now...forget about the lampshade for a couple of weeks, go open a nice bottle of wine, and sit in your pretty room with your little feet up.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County