SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Have neighbor shooting gun at squirrels!!!

loves2read
10 years ago

We have vacation house in FL bought little more than year ago...the neighborhood has some fairly strict HOA requirements but house is next to our daughter so location trumped that..
Just found out that there is guy in this neighborhood --not close to our house thankfully-- who admits to shooting at "nuisance" squirrels in his yard with a gun--not a pellet or BB gun which can be more dangerous that lot of people think when misused. I am not against guns--have them and know how and when to use them but a suburban neighborhood would not be that place.

Anyway this guy was basically kind of bragging about shooting squirrels when there was discussion of having a gator lying on a neighborhood street captured and taken away by Animal Control and a trapper...supposedly someone had shot that gator above left eye but didn't kill it.

So speculation was heated that it was someone in the neighborhood who thinks all gators need to be killed/removed even if they are in the ponds or just out on ground nearby minding their own business---NOT in people's yards. And gators in FL are endangered-- you can only kill one IF you have permit OR the gator is an active threat...not sunning him/herself by a pond...or likely even walking through your yard. Just keep away and don't provoke is what you are supposed to do.

My question is about shooting squirrels though...
What would you do if you knew someone was doing something as stupid as that in a neighborhood where homes are so close you can throw a wet dish towel and hit your neighbor's...say 6-8 ft between each house side by side and maybe back yards that are each 15 ft deep--so 30 ft between them.
Close quarters for most part.
Apparently the HOA doesn't have a rule against discharging a firearm...and I am trying to find out what the state law is since city/county must defer to state.

Comments (33)