SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vaindioux

I have a rat or squirrel in my wall

vaindioux
18 years ago

Hi

We have a 5 years old home in north Georgia, subdivision is very wooded, we see squirrels outside, feed tons of birds and have a groundhog that has a huge hole in the back of our property, had a visiting raccoon once last year too for a week who went away, we leave everybody alone.

Last night my wife didn't sleep much, I didn't hear a thing, something is in the wall and kept her up.

Today I was off at home all day, and heard it, went in the addic, outside, checked roof from afar, and inspected the wall in question, can't see anything (damage, droppings, or animal itself).

The animal seems to be quite large, I suspect a rat or a squirrel. The noise stops for quite a while and suddenly all hell breaks loose, it's actually a little bit scary in the evening.

The motion reminds me of how squirrels behave outside, no action for a while and suddenly they start running left and right.

I want to try the humane way first, with wire traps and release (I hope it's not a rat, wife would have to kill, I can't kill nothing.) in the forest (I know 10 miles for squirrels minimum.).

Or maybe the ultrasound thingy. I will never use poison for the smell and killing traps are awefull and nasty (But not totally out as last resort.)

The critter is always in the same spot, right next to the steps, I put my hand on the wall and feel the vibration from munching.

I wonder if it is trapped? Nesting?

Today there was no noise for a good four hours and wife was happy,we thought it propbably died or left until she went to bed and hell broke lose (I wanted to laugh but she was kinda pissed off. LOL!!!)

Now how about tearing a section of the sheetrock (2 x 2)? I am dying to see what's in there.

btw: We have 2 cats inside (2 females/better hunters) and 2 others outside that come visit from neighbours (1 is female.)

We have never had pests, first time.

Can anybody help?

Thanks a lot

Patrick

Comments (12)