SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katylamb

First posting - question about a door in a tight space

katylamb
14 years ago

Hi everybody,

If I'm posting this in the wrong category, please let me know! I've just joined this forum, and I'm hoping to find some suggestions for a problem we're having with our house.

We live in a 1-room-wide row house... 2 floors, a basement, 1200 square feet. We have a small full bathroom upstairs, and the door is an issue. It is literally AT the top of the stairs - a 45 degree turn to the right. The doorway is at an angle, and the hallway is narrow. When the door is fully opened (to the left, 180 degrees), it blocks off the hallway to get to the back bedroom. When it is partially closed (to the right), it's just a nusciance (sp?). Obviously, since it's a bathroom, we don't want to completely get rid of the door (also, it's original to the house, built in 1920), but it is really difficult to negotiate that angle! Does anybody have any suggestions? Having the door swing to the right won't work because to the right, the hallway turns again to run parallel to the staircase... (I wish I could insert a picture/drawing so that the orientation is more clear)... having it swing it won't work because to swing in and to the left, it will definitely hit the vanity, and to have it swing in to the right, it might hit the vanity, and we'd have to get rid of our shelving and a litter box in order to get it to open flat...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

Comments (3)