SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrabbot_gw

Question about heating options - cross post

jrabbot
14 years ago

Hi,

I have a question that I posted over on the heating forum but thought I would post here as well since so many that come to this board are very knowledgable. Here is the link to that thread. I don't think that forum has the activity we see over here. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg0610571720344.html?3

We are doing a kitchen/MBr addition which involves creating an opening into our existing LR. This along with converting one or both LR windows into french doors onto a deck. We currently have baseboard heat (forced hot water)that runs around the perimeter of the room. With the new opening and new doors we will lose a large amount of the baseboard heat. Our heating contractor suggested either a high output baseboard heat (they would be larger than what we currently have) on the remaining available walls or a second option of what is called a fan convector. He said it has the name of 'The Quiet One". I think that is an old name of this product. Link is below. This second option by him was after I asked if there was any other option than baseboard heat. I would love to have the LR be without the baseboard heaters. I am okay with them in bedrooms but I would love to not have them in this living space - basically it is our family room.

My questions about this 'fan convector' is how noisy is it? Anyone have one? I have not been able to find noise rating, sone level on this product. Am waiting on a call back from rep.

Also are there other options that have more of a traditional look? Maybe something in wood rather that this one that appears to be a combination of plastic and metal. It's not that large - about 20 inches high by 30 inches in length.

It seems I remember seeing someone post a photo recently (maybe in the past few months) with something like this.

If you have something like this are you happy with it or not? How noisy is it? And how do you decoratate around it. It would need to go on open wall space and not under a window.

Also, should I consider a regular radiator? Would that add much more expense?

Thanks for any advice or input you could provide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith's Environmental Products Fan Convector PSU30

Comments (5)