SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Help me choose decking material? Nice-looking, not too expensive?

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

We're adding a deck and porch to our house here in Maine. I am having a really hard time choosing decking material!

It needs to looks great with the house, since resale is a big concern (~4 years). The house is partly painted concrete "brick" and partly shingled in pretty Maipe cedar shakes (dipped in Cabot Oil Stain so they have a nice grey-tan weathered look). We also have a natural weathered cedar picket fence. We're going for a sort of coastal New England look, and it's a fairly high-end neighborhood and renovation.

In a previous home we built porches using Trex, and liked it there. But local rep says not to use Trex in shade areas. The deck will be mostly shaded (porch is sunny).

Concerns:

1) Aethetics, as above. Definitely no pressure treated (except structural.) Resale.

2) COST!!!!! We have a very meager budget this summer due to lots of unforeseen other house emergencies :(

3) Maintenance, somewhat. I'm OK with yearly coating if needed. We do have chickens who will probably hang out on the deck, necessitating frequent washing!

4) Environmental concerns. I'm not too thrilled with the PVC for that reason, though it doesn't have to be the MOST "green" product out there.

Possibilities??

1) Trex or similar?

2) Cedar? This is cheap around here: $1.00/LF. Is it "nice" enough? Will it still look good in 4 years? Do we let it weather or stain it? Can we use a stain that is light like the Cabot Oil Stainedshingels?

3) Ipe or other tropical hardwood? (I haven't priced that locally... maybe too pricey?)

Any input welcome!

Thanks,

Stacey

Comments (9)