SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k9fan

Squirrels eating plastic flashing

k9fan
12 years ago

There isn't a roofing forum, so I chose this one as the best option.

Our contractor chuckled as he told me this, but it didn't make me laugh! Our umpteen-thousand-dollar remodel is almost finished, and it includes skylights in almost every room. Today he told me that he and his crew recently heard a noise which they thought might be rats in the attic (which there shouldn't be because the attic is now well sealed). Instead, they went up on the roof and found evidence of squirrels (not sure why he's certain it's squirrels, but we certainly have hundreds of them around) chewing up the plastic flashing around the brand new skylights! He said there are lots of tiny holes but he could tape the flashing up "so it won't leak." That's just great. The holes in our brand new skylights on our almost-finished remodel can be taped so they won't leak before we have even moved back in(!!)

He didn't seem to have many ideas on how to remedy this problem. He thought maybe a fake owl on the roof would scare them away.

I am wondering -- could a roofer cover the plastic flashing with metal flashing that the squirrels can't chew through?

Has anyone dealt with this problem successfully? I don't see any way to keep squirrels from getting on the roof and we are not going to eliminate all the squirrels in our area, so we need to thwart them with barriers or chase them away somehow.

Comments (13)