SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Squirrels MAYBE eating rose buds again.

This season has brought forth very healthy leafy green rose bushes with lots of early buds. We put 2' cages towards the middle of last season around 4 of the bushes that something was constantly eating buds off of the last couple of years. Had originally tried fox urine, but literally could not stand the scent. Then tried cayenne pepper sprinkled around those bushes & on the bushes. Heard this will not harm the bushes, hope that is true. You have to obviously reapply after it rains, and it's not cheap. I've heard putting plastic forks around a bush, but if squirrels jump--how does that even work? Also heard moth balls??

Anyway, I was marvelling at my Happy Go Lucky gorgeous yellow rose bush with 8 starting to open buds, thinking these cages have kept whatever has been eating the buds on this bush and the lavender bush (which has a ton of buds starting to open). That was the other day. The next day I went outside & almost started crying. There were literally NO buds left on the Happy Go Lucky, just severed off. They went after one of the lavender buds, another bush that gets very high & is so beautiful every year--saw one bud on the ground & actually a red rose that has been on this property for over 30 years. It doesn't bloom a lot anymore but has gorgeous big blooms &fragrant as can be. I cut one off because it was starting to get sun scorch & brought it in to enjoy. The other one looked more open & scorched from the heat--so left that. That was completely severed today too.

I'm at a loss what to do anymore. I won't hurt any animals. Maybe it is time I sadly give up on the roses that gave me such joy for over 29 years.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations