SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southernstitcher

Comparison of KraftMaid and Mid-Continent, price and construction

southernstitcher
15 years ago

I've tried 4 local cabinet makers. 3 of them didn't return calls after the initial visits and quotes.

KraftM at Lowes: Datkota Birch Square, Prauline finish with raised panel drawer heads.

Galley kitchen with 14' sink run and 8 ft range run.

Bells and whistles: 2 21" drawer bases for pots, 4 pull outs in the tall pantry, 2 roll outs in a base. 1 Micro upper, fridge upper and surround, 2- 9" base pullouts.

Quote: $8K for cabs, $1.5K for installation. 20% more for all plywood construction. That is with the free sink base, and 10% off. If I have them install I pay no taxes on the cabinetry (some weird La law). The only upgrade is plywood ends on the microwave upper. This also includes basic molding and some fillers.

Mid Continent with local cab company:

Same as above, except that the 2 pull out trays are gone, and I'll have wider, 27" pot/pan drawer bases, losing the 9" pantry pull outs which I don't really think I need anyway. All exposed sides are plywood, not just microwave cab. I can always add the Revashelf pullouts later.

Dovetail wood drawers with blumotion soft close are free as a special right now, (but that comes standard on KM.)

Quote: $7,000 and includes installation, but not demo.

The big differences I see are in things like the hanger rails -- 3/8" industrial grade 45# particle board with Mid C for all rails, GLUED AND STAPLED TO BACKS!!! All their backs are 3/8" 45# indust grade particle board. Is this a problem?

KM -- 3/4" solid wood on base rails, 1/2" wood rails for walls. I beam braces and corner blocks are 1/2", dadoed into face frame, end panels and BACK HANGING RAIL -- in other words, not glued and stapled. But, again, is this better or worse or what?????

KM's back is 1/8", engineered wood.

Both have solid wood 3/4" face frames. Hinges seem the same.

I'd definitely go with Mid Continent if it were not for my concern over the glued and staped particle board rails.

Comments (4)