SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maisoui1_gw

aquarium in interior design

maisoui1
11 years ago

I miss my saltwater aquarium in my last house and want to incorporate one in my current house. I am still leaning towards saltwater although I suppose I could do fresh water. As I walk around the first floor I think I have 2 options for placement.

Option 1: In the family room I could remove the built in bookcase on one side of the fireplace (built in with TV is on the other side) and have a space about 47 inches wide by about 19 inches deep to put a built in aquarium. Since it would be custom size I could determine the height. Around a max of 30 inches high would probably be good to be able to clean it properly etc.

Option 2: I could get a free standing aquarium and put it in the dining room the way one would have a buffet. Currently, I only have a dining table with 8 chairs in the dining room and have no plans of ever getting a china cabinet. That could be any size but probably would be at least 6 feet if I went that route.

I don't really see any other places where an aquarium could go. In our library I could do builtins on a wall of bookcases there but I only have about 13 inches depth which is too narrow for a reef tank - I would only be able to have fish in it.

Anyone with aquariums in their homes or have used them in residential interior design? Can you share any photos or give advice or opinions re either of the two options please?

Thanks

Comments (3)