SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiendu

Newbie, first aquarium, 2 dead fish, help?

kiendu
17 years ago

I just got my aquarium set up about 5 weeks ago. It's a 29 gallon and has that filter thing that hangs over the edge on the back side. I have been keeping my water at 78/80 on the little strip that sticks to the outside of the tank.

I've lost two fish. One just died last night and it's been in there for a month. I just brought 5 new fish home yesterday and I'm worried there's something wrong with my water. The ones that have died are some little cheapies that were 99 cents. (an orange and black and kinda a light orange with black on the fins) The one that died yesterday had white spots on it. I've seen something called "ich" and I'm thinking that could be the problem? I took the dead fish out, but will my new fish get it too?Can I get "ich" in my tank after a month?

The ones I bought yesterday were angel fish and catfish bottom feeders. I haven't bought an algae eater yet because the fish store said I should wait til I actually see algae in my tank, or he will starve to death. My water seems kinda dirty... little white specks floating around. My pump/filter is running all the time, wouldn't that clean the water better than this? Do I need a bigger filter/pump? It came together as a set, frankly I don't know what size it is. But,after a month, my water is already dirty and I've only had 4 fish that would practically all fit on a table spoon... they were pretty small to make such a mess in 29 gallons of water. Maybe I feed them too much? I feed them twice a day, but maybe too much at a time?

I'm worried... the fish I purchased yesterday cost over $50 and I don't want to lose them. What would you suggest? I've been thinking I need to "test" my water. We have well water, so there's no chlorine, but I'm sure there are other things in the water that could affect my tank? Do you have any suggestions for what kind of test kit to use and what to test for? I looked on ebay and there's so many I don't know which one I'm supposed to use or what I'm supposed to test for? HELP!!

I don't want to give up on this yet, I'd really love to have an aquarium and have fish for years that can grow big and entertain my grandchildren. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Cindy from Wisconsin

Comments (13)

Sponsored