SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

I'll Share My Recipe if You Share Yours Wed. June 22

Jasdip
12 years ago

There was a show on the Food Network (Canada) called Loving Spoonfuls. It was a show about grandmothers from all origins cooking their favourite dishes.

I have a Loving Spoonfuls cookbook and the women featured are from Swiss, Polish, Hungarian, French-Canadian, etc heritages.

Today's recipe is a Swiss Cake that will have you yodeling with glee!

Linzertorte

1 cup butter, softened

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 egg

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup ground almonds

1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cloves

pinch salt

grated rind of 1 lemon

3/4 cup raspberry jam

1 egg yolk, beaten

icing sugar for dusting on top

In a bowl, with an elecric mixer, crem butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in egg.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, almonds, hazelnuts, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Stir into butter mixture, along with lemon zest. Gather dough into ball and knead on floured surface a few times. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for about 30 minutes, or until chilled. (Can be refrigerated up to 2 days.)

Pat 3/4 of the dough into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan, about 1/2 inch thick. Spread jam on top. Roll out remaining dough to about 1/8 inch thickness and cut into strips 1/2 inch wide. Place on top of jam in lattice pattern. Brush with egg yolk.

Bake in 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until golden. Let cool in pan or rack. Sprinkle top lightly with confectioner's sugar before serving. Freezes well.

You can use variations of jam, and vary the sweetness by adding more or less jam.

Comments (2)