SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

How to Sign Up for the 2010 Birthday Block Excahnge

sandlapper_rose
14 years ago

2010 Birthday Block Exchange

I am now taking sign ups for this block exchange. In order to be in the first groups that are assigned, I would like to ask that you sign up by the end of September. My plan is to get out the names of those in each group by at least early November. I will really try to have some groups in place in October. I know that is quite a bit before 2010, but I figure that gives you plenty of time - even before the holidays - to get any January blocks made and mailed out so the January birthday folks will get their blocks in time. I will resend the list after Christmas, too, in case your list gets misplaced.

For anyone who may want to join after early November (when I have already assigned groups), I will keep a waiting list through to the end of December and if we get 13 people, there will be another group. We may also need people to fill in if someone should drop out before 2010 begins so either way, someone who sees this after mid-October may still contact me and end up in a group.

As in the past, we like this to be something that even newer quilters can join, so I would appreciate it if no one selects an extremely difficult pattern. You should indicate to me whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced quilter when you sign up and I will take that into account in assigning groups. Everyone will select a standard pieced block. (If you are more advanced and want another option, I discuss that below.)

Instructions if you want to participate:

Before you even think of signing up for this, ask yourself if you have the time and commitment to do this for a full year. It is a lot of fun and you will learn a lot, but your group will be depending on you and I am going to be firm in encouraging people to tell me when they have not received their blocks. You need to be willing to post to this forum when you mail a block and receive a block. That makes it fun for everyone. If you can post a picture of the blocks you receive, that makes it even more fun!

So now, if you are ready to go what do you need to do?

First of all, particpants must be adults! There are all sorts of reasons why we cannot be sending information about children. Adults who want to participate will send me the following information by e-mail:

Your GardenWeb name, your e-mail address, your mailing address, the day and month of your birthday, and whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced quilter and your telephone number. Also, let me know if you are comfortable doing appliqué or paper piecing  also whether you think you can make a design that uses templates in the instructions. Your telephone number will not be shared with your group, it is only for me in case a long time goes by and we have not heard from you and we are trying to find out if you are all right. You will not be assigned to a group until I have all the information that I need. You also need to name and describe the block you are requesting. All blocks requested must be no larger than 12 ½" unfinished (12" finished.) Let me know where the pattern or instructions for making the block can be found. This will read something like: http://www.quilterscache.com/A/ADandyBlock.html. When your group members enter that information, it should take them to the instructions for your quilt block.

If you are interested in a more advanced block or appliqué or paper piecing, you will let me know that also and then you will send the name of two blocks - one will be used if you are in a standard group and the second if I have enough people who can do these other techniques so that you can request a bit harder block. I hope that makes sense.

In the past some people wanted to be in two groups. You can request that, but no more than two. Remember if you want to receive 24 blocks, you need to make 24 as well! People from all over the globe participate so it is likely you will have some in your group who live outside the U.S. It is not difficult or expensive to mail one block to a foreign location so I hope you think that this makes it even more fun  I do! I will spread out the birthdays in your group the best that I can, but it may not always be one birthday per month. It depends on who signs up.

What if you are not that particular about your block or you like surprises? Some people do not request a specific block. Some say "quilterÂs choice" or any star pattern or maybe any star on black fabric or whatever. Some in the past have requested a theme  perhaps flowers or birds. When requesting colors, you can refer to the pattern. For example, if you select the 1930Âs square  the first one listed in QuilterÂs Cache in the alphabetical list, you will see that it is made using lavender fabric on a white background. You can ask for the colors shown. Maybe you would like people to use red instead of the lavender and use white on white for the background. You can request that the colors be adjusted. Some people ask for batiks or bright colors  this is your quilt so think of what you would like. We will all use 100% cotton. If you want the fabric prewashed, please list that as well. I think as a courtesy all fabrics should be prewashed if there is any chance at all that they will bleed or shrink. Blocks need to be clean and pressed when they are mailed. Please package them carefully and take time to address them correctly. Send them without pet hair, dust, and any odor of perfume or smoke. Some may have allergies.

How to find and identify the quilt blocks you would like:

The internet provides many, many patterns for free online and that is an easy way to share the pattern with those in your group. I have listed a few sites below. All you need to do to search is to use something like "free quilt block pattern" in the search window. Try to select a site that does a good job explaining the size to cut each piece and how to sew the block together. Remember that many little pieces or awkwardly shaped pieces will be harder to work with and may result in a block that is a little "off" compared to the size it should be -- not to mention it will frustrate your group members. I suggest you print one copy of the instructions and hold on to it. If that pattern should be removed from the internet you will then have a way to send the pattern to the others in your group. What would be truly wonderful would be if you try the block yourself if you have never made it before. Maybe you can even expand on the directions  for example saying that after you sew Block A (2 ½ x 4 ½") to Block B (2 ½ x 2 ½") you will have a rectangle that measures 2 ½ x 6 ½." Really anything that will help out the newer quilters is great.

Here are a few sites that you can visit to see the vast number of choices when it comes to quilt blocks. There are hundreds more.

The QuilterÂs Cache

http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

(Notice that the symbols indicate whether there is paper piecing or appliqué and the level of difficulty. One pin is the easiest.)

McCallÂs

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/qb/index.html

(Difficulty level is indicated)

World Wide Quilting

http://www.quilt.com/Blocks/AlphaBlockList.html

If there are any questions, just ask. This will be my first year coordinating the Birthday Blocks so I may not have thought to list everythingÂbut this is getting pretty longwinded at this point. ;-)

Prior to assigning groups, I would like to hear (privately, by e-mail, not here on this board) the names of people who did not fulfill their obligation in 2008 and 2009. Now, if someone is only slightly overdue, please give him or her a chance before telling me. Okay? People who have not sent their blocks will not be able to sign up in the standard manner. I plan to keep a close watch on the groups. Many of us really, really enjoy doing this each year (and I am among them) so I want to keep the group fun and reliable.

In both 2008 and 2009 I have had absolutely wonderful people in my groups  so I know you may see some complaints posted here on the Quilting Forum, but the problems are few. All I can say is that we take a risk with most things that we do in life.

I hope you will join in and we will love to celebrate your birthday with you in 2010!

Jeanne

Comments (51)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH