SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lwylie_gw

trim 2x8 rafter sisters to 2x4?

lwylie
16 years ago

Hello GardenWeb-sters,

Seems like there's great collective wisdom here, so thought perhaps someone would have answers to a structural question I'm facing.

My house was built in 1920, is 1 1/2 stories, and half the upstairs hasn't been finished. It's a pretty big space, 12' x 23' , which I plan to make it into a small bathroom and bedroom. The issue at hand is with the rafters.

The original rafters are 2x4s, 30" OC, and were sagging. Under the influence of a former SO, I had them sistered with 2x8s for strength, and to accommodate installation of R20 insulation batts. Now I regret doing this, as I've lost 4" of headroom that I could really use for the proposed bathroom (which will be tiny as it is), as well as the rest of the space. The bathroom headroom will just barely meet the minimium required by local code, and the kneewalls will now be about 4'8" high, which is short of the 5'0" code requirement. I asked the building dept. how strict they are about the 5'0" kneewall height, and they said they're fairly understanding about older houses, and that I could apply for a waiver. But I'd hate to start down that path and then run into problems.

So, my questions are:

1) Can I trim the face of the 2x8 sisters to make them nominal 2x4s (or maybe 2x6), and gain back some headspace (realizing the insulation would need to be redone to R13)?

2) If so, would I need to also add collar ties?

3)Should I have even used 2x8's in the first place, or are they too heavy (will sag over time)? BTW, the ridge beam isn't structural, looks to be a 1x4.

I have contacted two engineers about this, but they're both booked up for the next two months. In the meantime, perhaps someone here on GardenWeb has already "been there, done that". Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (6)