SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkangela

appropriate conduct during 'inspection'

lkangela
18 years ago

My home recently went under contract, and as expected, the buyer requested a home inspection.

The time and date for this inspection was agreed upon and understood by both parties.

On inspection day, I arrived home FIFTY minutes after the end of the scheduled inspection period, to find four cars in my driveway, and two on the street in front of my home (none with any business or work signage on them that would have indicated an inspector's presence). There were people milling about my home, both inside and out, and young children running in and out at will. Needless to say I was shocked.

I immediately contacted my agent and told her what I was seeing. She attmepted to call the buyers agent to no avail...not that I expected her to be able to do anything other than ask the agent what the heck??

In the mean time, I parked my car in front of my home, waited, observed, and called my spouse who reacted with similar shock to the scene I described.

Fifteen or twenty minutes later, these people started to leave. I counted at least seven people and two children under the age of four. The last person to leave, with child in tow, was carrying papers so I assumed he was the buyers agent. He was parked in my driveway and loading himself and his child into his car when I pulled in. I got out and he asked if I was the owner.

I replied that I was and told him I found more than a little unusual that a "home inspection" involved so many people. He snidely apologized for "running over on time" and informed me that his buyer had the right to have anyone she wanted to "inspect" my house because she was interested in buying it. I corrected him and said "no, she is under contract to buy it, and I find it rather inappropriate that there is whole crowd of people here for an "inspection"." Again, he very snottily told me that it was her right to have her neighbor, friend or whoever she wanted inspect the house yet made no mention of the role these many people and the children were playing in this "inspection". I was too upset to speak by this point, so I just walked away.

SO...

Is there a standard of practice or guideline when it comes to who and who should not be present at a home inspection? To whom should I report what I feel is highly inappropriate, unethical and unprofessional conduct in this regard? I am most disturbed that my privacy has been voilated to this extent. These people appeared to be treating my home as if they already own it. Someone was also kind enough to replace the empty roll of toilet tissue when they used my bathroom.

Under what circumstances, if any, would it be appropriate for an agent to bring his or her child into a sellers home during an inspection?

Ultimately, is the inspector or the agent responsible for what goes on during an inspection?

Apparently the other people were family members of the buyer. Is it wrong of me to be upset that six or eight people and young children were basically holding an open house at MY house without my consent, under the guise of a "home inspection"? What if someone had become injured, or worse?

Perhaps a legit home inspection did actually occurr, but apparently a lot more than that did as well. Needless to say, I'm extremely upset and looking for suggestions on recourse as well as input on whether I'm justified in feeling angry and violated.

I intend to call our RE board and file a complaint with the Department of Commerce. I also intend to contact the agent's broker, yet I am well aware that the RE business is a protect the flock (even at the expense of ethics and professional standards??lets hope not) kind of club. What, in people's educated or professional opinion, should I expect to be done about this?

Comments (32)