SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Modernist-post-modernist.

palimpsest
10 years ago

This house for sale in Birmingham is interesting because it has a significant addition on the back that is from 20-odd years later, and fits, while clearly being from the 1980s vs the 1950s when the original house was built. The house is nice, I am not presenting it as any great masterpiece, but I think they did a good job with the addition.

I think this house is staged. The furniture is Heywood-Wakefield (the new company), old H-W and some other pieces. Photos from Realty South.

Front, intact 1950s:

Entry:

Den:

Bathroom:

Kitchen (limited uppers)

Dining room (gives a peek at the addition)

Living Room

View to addition #1:

View showing light-well addition:

Light-well addition from back yard:

a href="http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/palimpsest570/media/Alabama%20house/ala13_zps804d3eb5.jpg.html"; target="_blank">

They shifted to a squarish upright window grid that to me has a post-modern influence, and the railing is vertical 80s rather than horizontal 50s, but it seems to all work.

This is also an example of the basic kind of open plan that people seem to want, but this type of modernism is mostly rejected in terms of its surface treatments. People seem to prefer the essential volumes of this house interior, but want it combined with a traditional exterior and interior surface finishes.

Comments (7)